2020. Corona. Travelling is a different game. Yet our Fernweh acted up too often. So we arranged a train trip to Germany and Austria. Specifically to Leipzig in Saxony, several spots in Bavaria and returning home with ÖBB‘s Nightjet from Innsbruck in Tyrol to Brussels in Belgium.
We ended our Germano-Austrian Autumn Trip in Innsbruck. Why? Because the Nightjet departed from there.
Innsbruck is the capital of Tyrol and fifth-largest city in Austria. On the River Inn, at its junction with the Wipp Valley, which provides access to the Brenner Pass 30 km to the south, it had a population of 132,493 in 2018.
There we visited Schloss Ambras, the Hofburg, the Ferdinandeum and we also just walked around. We stayed at Ibis next to the railway station.
A ‘typical’ Austrian city, Innsbruck is colourful. It’s also a real city with real people doing real, everyday activities. So we saw office workers, students and shoppers.
We had a more or less fancy dinner at aDLERS Restaurant.
We absolutely made the best of 1.5 days in Innsbruck. Charming city, but not worth a detour.
Previously on this adventure
- The delicious German state secret: dining onboard Deutsche Bahn.
- VIDEO | Leipzig Hauptbahnhof.
- Leipzig Bayerischer Bahnhof.
- EAST GERMANY | Zeitgeschichtliches Forum, Leipzig’s GDR museum.
- Hyperion Leipzig.
- By ICE from Leipzig to Nuremberg.
- Nuremberg Transport Museum / DB Museum.
- Novotel Nuremberg City Centre.
- Documentation Center NS Party Rallying Grounds in Nuremberg.
- Nuremberg’s Zeppelin Field with the Norisring.
- Memorium Nuremberg Trials.
- Nuremberg’s real-life Playmobil Imperial Castle.
- You need at least two full days in Nuremberg.
- DB Regio from Nuremberg to Regensburg.
- Thurn und Taxis princely palace museum in Regensburg.
- Eurostars Park Hotel Maximilian Regensburg.
- With Alex from Regensburg to Munich.
- BMW Museum & BMW Welt in Munich.
- Munich’s Olympiapark.
- Sofitel Munich Bayerpost.
- Deutsches Museum’s Verkehrszentrum or Transport Centre in Munich.
- Deutsches Museum’s main site on Munich’s Museuminsel.
- By train to Neuschwanstein.
- Only 15 Minutes and No Photos in Schloss Neuschwanstein Castle.
- Museum of the Bavarian Kings in Schwangau near Neuschwanstein.
- Füssen in Bavaria, the gateway to Neuschwanstein.
- Münchner Stadtmuseum – Munich City Museum.
- MUNICH | Die Neue Sammlung – The Design Museum / Pinakothek der Moderne.
- Five days and four nights in Munich, including Neuschwanstein.
- By train to Lindau and Lake Constance.
- Lindau at or in Lake Constance.
- Hotel Bayerischer Hof Lindau.
- Trainspotting at Lindau.
- By train from Lindau to Garmisch-Partenkirchen via the Ausserfern railway.
- Staying firmly on the ground in Garmisch-Partenkirchen.
- Mercure Garmisch-Partenkirchen.
- Visiting Germany’s highest mountain, the Zugspitze.
- Mountaineering in Germany part 2: The Alpspitz.
- Garmisch-Partenkirchen to Innsbruck via Mittenwald on DB Regio.
- Habsburg Schloss Ambras Castle in Innsbruck.
- Ibis Innsbruck.
- Imperial Palace Hofburg Innsbruck.
- Ferdinandeum Tyrol State Museum in Innsbruck.
- Nightjet Vienna/Innsbruck to Brussels, or how we got thrown off the train in Aachen.