On Monday 17 October, work started on a temporary ‘greening’ of part of the southern part of the Loodswezensite on the Antwerp Scheldt Quays. The works will be completed by the end of this year and the city will have a pleasant place to relax by the water. In the spring of 2024, the definitive reconstruction of the public domain of the entire Loodswezensite will start, with a green sunbathing lawn at that location.
Google Translate translates ‘Loodswezen’ as ‘Pilotage’. The Loodswezen is the organisation behind these river shipping pilots. The Loodswezen is also a listed building in eclectic style in Antwerp.
At the beginning of 2022, the city selected a design team for the area development of the Loodswezensite, the public domain on the northern Scheldt Quays around and south of the historic Loodswezen building.
It is a multidisciplinary team led by Bureau Bas Smets. This marked the redevelopment of the public domain and the integration of a monument to commemorate the Antwerp victims of World War II. In that design, the quay is strongly greened, into a park with various gardens, including a sunbathing area.
In anticipation of the works for the definitive redevelopment, the zone of this future sunbathing area, on the Orteliuskaai between the Koolvliet and the Sint-Pietersvliet, is already being greened.
The City of Antwerp is softening a zone of 4500 m². The cobblestones are broken out and replaced by a flowery lawn. For example, Antwerp will have a pleasant place to relax on the Scheldt by the beginning of 2023.
Alderman for Urban Development Annick De Ridder (N-VA): “With the redevelopment of the Scheldt quays – 7 kilometers long – we are writing a wonderful urban development story. That is a story with many chapters. One of these is the public domain attached to the historic building of the Loodswezen. That area is undergoing a profound transformation. In anticipation of the major works that will start at the beginning of 2024, we are already creating a green oasis here on the water. A simple, pleasant and tangible example of the greening and blue-greening that we strive for with every urban development project.”
On the look of Antwerp
- AREAS OF ANTWERP | Scheldekaaien or Scheldt Quays.
- AREAS OF ANTWERP | Zurenborg.
- AREAS OF ANTWERP | Cogels-Osylei between Berchem and Antwerp’s Zurenborg neighbourhood.
- AREAS OF ANTWERP | De Gerlachekaai at the Scheldt.
- AREAS OF ANTWERP | Sint-Andriesplein.
- Rainbow zebra crossing in Borgerhout.
- Rainbow zebra crossings of Antwerp.
- Rainbow zebra crossing in Berchem.
- ANTWERP | Part of Scheldepark / Schipperspark / Zuidpark at Gedempte Zuiderdokken now open.
- ANTWERP | Major revamp of the Meirbrug – Suikerrui – Scheldt Quays axis to complete the Via Sinjoor.
- ANTWERP | Looking for Linkeroever Railway Station.
- ANTWERP | Renovation of Scheldt Quays between Sint-Andries and ‘t Zuid.
- ANTWERP | Final design revealed for Scheldt Quays at Nieuw Zuid.
- ANTWERP | 2023-2024 Park Gedempte Zuiderdokken to have grass and water.
- ANTWERP | City forest, orchard and pond for Nieuw Zuid Scheldt Quays by 2024.
- ANTWERP | Groenplaats to become green again.
- A sneak peek into Antwerp’s renovated City Hall.
- Antwerp’s Middelheim Museum rearranges sculpture park by the end of 2023.
- Redesigning Antwerp’s central Scheldt Quays between Noorderterras and Zuiderterras.
- Borsbeek to become Antwerp’s 10th district.
- Antwerp’s Droogdokkensite redeveloped into maritime experience area.
- VIDEO | The renovation of Antwerp City Hall.
- Antwerp-Central Railway Station to get new facade lights.
- Antwerp’s renewed Scheldt Quays at Loodswezen to get World War II victims memorial.
- ANTWERP | Bonapartedok to become centre for water sports and recreation.
- PHOTOS | Het Steen, Antwerp’s new Visitor Centre.
- VIDEO | Walking the future Spoorpark between Zurenborg (Antwerp) and Borgerhout.
- 5 spots in Antwerp to soak up the sun for free.
- VIDEO | Sunset over Antwerp’s Scheldt river.
- Antwerp to be car-free by 2024?.
- BOOK | ‘Antwerp. An Archaeological View on the Origin of the City’ by Tim Bellens.
- Antwerp landmark Boerentoren to become Art & Culture Tower by 2027.
- Antwerp to get a pedestrian and cyclist bridge over the Scheldt.
- VIDEO | Bicycle ramp for Parkbrug at Park Spoor Noord / ‘t Eilandje in Antwerp opened.
- VIDEO | Antwerp researching old castle at Noorderterras.
- VIDEO | Pedestrian bridge in Antwerp’s Stadspark restored.
- Antwerp’s Rubens House to have new visitor centre by 2024.
- ANTWERP | Rubens House to close on 9 January 2023 and reopen in 2027.
- Noorderterras to become Kaailine, Antwerp’s New York-inspired High Line.
- Antwerp’s City Theatre Stadsschouwburg to be demolished, new playhouse elsewhere.
- ANTWERP | Wapper near Meir and Rubens House to be renovated into a contemporary and climate-robust city square.
- ANTWERP | Schuttershofstraat to become fully pedestrian shopping street.
- ANTWERP | Zuidpark to be completed by 2024.
- ANTWERP | Construction of Park Groot Schijn enters final phase.
- Antwerp lists Wolvenberg-Brilschans in Berchem now as nature reserve.
- ANTWERP | Preliminary design for revamped Stadspark approved.
- ANTWERP | Preliminary design for Masterplan Scheldt’s Linkeroever.
10 Comments Add yours