Two electric quay cranes from the collection of historic harbour cranes of the Museum At the Stream (MAS) will have their protected status as monument renewed.
The largest and most impressive collection of harbor cranes in the world is located in Antwerp, at Rijnkaai 20. The Immovable Heritage agency asked the city of Antwerp to advise on the planned protection of two of the cranes. The city advised favorably on the proposed protection.
The historic cranes, 347IA and 371JA, were already protected in 2002, but in 2018 they were moved to the Rijnkaai to ensure sustainable maintenance. There they are part of the collection of historical harbor cranes of the MAS.
Due to the transfer, the protection decree of 30 September 2002 no longer corresponded to reality. The protection as a monument depends on the place of protection. In order to make the protection decision administratively and legally correct, a new decision will be drawn up with the adjusted location, in order to continue the existing protection.
The 347IA electric shore crane is the only surviving and well-preserved example of a series of eight electric cranes from 1953-1954, equipped with a counter boom top travel. It was built by one of the most important Belgian constructors, namely the Hoboken company Titan Anversois.
It was the last series of cranes in Antwerp with a riveted half-timbered construction, before they switched to welded constructions. The crane was originally located at the Vierde Havendok (Fourth Harbour Dock).
The electric shore crane 371JA is the only surviving and well-preserved example of twenty electric general cargo cranes from 1958-1959 that run on tracks. The crane was exceptionally built by a German firm, Fr. Kocks, in a period when most cranes were Boom cranes. Characteristic of this crane is that the top movement on the outside is driven by a rack and pinion. They originally served on the quays of the Leopolddok (Leopold Dock), where they almost doubled the transhipment capacity per shift.
Cranes as a museum piece
The unique Antwerp crane collection forms the largest museum collection of harbor cranes in the world. The MAS now manages no less than 18 harbor cranes. Of these, 14 are located on the Rijnkaai, near Hangar 26 and 27. Anyone can view them there for free. You can go to the MAS for guided crane walks.
The most impressive is the Titan crane, which is 40 meters tall. The taps were restored by de-rusting and repainting.
The oldest dates from 1907, the youngest from 1963.
On the look of Antwerp
- AREAS OF ANTWERP | Scheldekaaien or Scheldt Quays.
- AREAS OF ANTWERP | Zurenborg.
- AREAS OF ANTWERP | Cogels-Osylei between Berchem and Antwerp’s Zurenborg neighbourhood.
- AREAS OF ANTWERP | De Gerlachekaai at the Scheldt.
- AREAS OF ANTWERP | Sint-Andriesplein.
- ANTWERP | Murals to return to Voetgangerstunnel.
- ANTWERP | Instant divide over Daniel Libeskind’s transformation design for Boerentoren.
- Rainbow zebra crossing in Borgerhout.
- Rainbow zebra crossings of Antwerp.
- Rainbow zebra crossing in Berchem.
- ANTWERP | City approves preliminary design for revamped Scheldt Quays’ section from Steenplein to Noorderterras.
- ANTWERP | Part of Scheldepark / Schipperspark / Zuidpark at Gedempte Zuiderdokken now open.
- ANTWERP | Major revamp of the Meirbrug – Suikerrui – Scheldt Quays axis to complete the Via Sinjoor.
- ANTWERP | Looking for Linkeroever Railway Station.
- ANTWERP | Renovation of Scheldt Quays between Sint-Andries and ‘t Zuid.
- ANTWERP | Final design revealed for Scheldt Quays at Nieuw Zuid.
- ANTWERP | 2023-2024 Park Gedempte Zuiderdokken to have grass and water.
- ANTWERP | City forest, orchard and pond for Nieuw Zuid Scheldt Quays by 2024.
- ANTWERP | Groenplaats to become green again.
- A sneak peek into Antwerp’s renovated City Hall.
- Antwerp’s Middelheim Museum rearranges sculpture park by the end of 2023.
- Redesigning Antwerp’s central Scheldt Quays between Noorderterras and Zuiderterras.
- Borsbeek to become Antwerp’s 10th district.
- Antwerp’s Droogdokkensite redeveloped into maritime experience area.
- VIDEO | The renovation of Antwerp City Hall.
- Antwerp-Central Railway Station to get new facade lights.
- Antwerp’s renewed Scheldt Quays at Loodswezen to get World War II victims memorial.
- ANTWERP | Bonapartedok to become centre for water sports and recreation.
- PHOTOS | Het Steen, Antwerp’s new Visitor Centre.
- VIDEO | Walking the future Spoorpark between Zurenborg (Antwerp) and Borgerhout.
- 5 spots in Antwerp to soak up the sun for free.
- VIDEO | Sunset over Antwerp’s Scheldt river.
- Antwerp to be car-free by 2024?.
- BOOK | ‘Antwerp. An Archaeological View on the Origin of the City’ by Tim Bellens.
- Antwerp landmark Boerentoren to become Art & Culture Tower by 2027.
- Antwerp to get a pedestrian and cyclist bridge over the Scheldt.
- VIDEO | Bicycle ramp for Parkbrug at Park Spoor Noord / ‘t Eilandje in Antwerp opened.
- VIDEO | Antwerp researching old castle at Noorderterras.
- VIDEO | Pedestrian bridge in Antwerp’s Stadspark restored.
- Antwerp’s Rubens House to have new visitor centre by 2024.
- ANTWERP | Rubens House to close on 9 January 2023 and reopen in 2027.
- Noorderterras to become Kaailine, Antwerp’s New York-inspired High Line.
- Antwerp’s City Theatre Stadsschouwburg to be demolished, new playhouse elsewhere.
- ANTWERP | Wapper near Meir and Rubens House to be renovated into a contemporary and climate-robust city square.
- ANTWERP | Schuttershofstraat to become fully pedestrian shopping street.
- ANTWERP | Zuidpark to be completed by 2024.
- ANTWERP | Construction of Park Groot Schijn enters final phase.
- Antwerp lists Wolvenberg-Brilschans in Berchem now as nature reserve.
- ANTWERP | Preliminary design for revamped Stadspark approved.
- ANTWERP | Preliminary design for Masterplan Scheldt’s Linkeroever.
- ANTWERP | Loodswezensite gets temporary green area.
- ANTWERP | Phases 2 and 3 for Zuidpark.
- Antwerp to install recreational pontoon at Bonapartedok.
- ANTWERP | Brabo Fountain being restored.
- ANTWERP | Design team for reconstruction of Wapper chosen.
- Antwerp to redevelop Sint-Anneke Beach.
14 Comments Add yours
Very interestng post! Thank’s for share Timothy.
I didn’t stop follow you, sorry about.
Have a nice day!
LikeLiked by 1 person
That’s okay Elvira.
Have a great day!
LikeLiked by 1 person
You as well!
LikeLiked by 1 person