The Museum Aan de Stroom (MAS) or Museum At the Stream in Antwerp is turning ten. On May 17, 2011, the MAS opened its doors.
17 May is also the International Day Against Homophobia, Biphobia and Transphobia (IDAHOT) so I’m choosing the rainbow lit version of the MAS as main photo.
“For 10 years the museum has been telling stories about Antwerp and the world to millions of visitors”, MAS says.
There will be – covid secure – celebrations from Saturday 22 to Monday 24 May. The museum will be free that weekend.
“Stroll down the promenade and dive into MAS history. On each floor, posters from the MAS’s biggest exhibitions provide a nostalgic look back.”
This year, Artist in Residence Karen François explores the meaning of heritage with MAS in ‘Young Hands‘. She would have preferred a big party, but now she provides a few surprising interventions.
Try your luck in the expo ‘Celebration!‘ on Karen’s coin pusher. Who knows, maybe you’ll bring a piece of new Antwerp heritage into your home.
Coins are handed out at the entrance of the hall on the 4th floor.
Elke Lemmens makes dioramas in old boot scrapers. Things that people used to wipe their feet on, now become small works of art in the city. The MAS receives one as a gift on the Eilandje. Can you find it?
With her stray heritage campaign, Karen asks, “What is heritage and what can be inherited better?”
Young Antwerp artists hide parcels with things that is heritage to them. Find them on the Eilandje and stand a chance of winning a little extra.
Follow the hiding places via the facebook group ‘Zwerfgoed‘.
In the MAS
Between 10 AM and 5 PM, visit our temporary exhibition ‘100 x Congo. A century of Congolese art in Antwerp‘.
Of course you can also visit our beautiful other, more permanent exhibitions. Be sure to visit the exhibition ‘World Port‘, because it closes at the end of the year.
10 years of MAS
Stroll down the boulevard and dive into MAS history. On each floor, posters from the MAS exhibitions provide a nostalgic look back.
More Indians, less cowboys
Little figurines washed up on the Scheldt used waste materials to build their own world. As part of our exhibition ‘World Port’, a colorful reserve of plastic jutsels is growing. A miniature locomotive with camera turns it into a real road movie.
On Monday between 2 and 4 PM, children can join a workshop.
For ten years, the MAS has invited local artists, creatives, photographers and word artists for large and small interventions in the MAS.
Rosie Guillaume, a 22-year-old Antwerp poet, wants to make poetry hip again among young people. For the occasion ’10 years MAS’ she is writing a new poem especially for us on the windows of the building.
Continuous walk-in workshop
In the Visible Storage on the 2nd floor children can attend a free workshop. They make their own party hat for one of the stuffed animals from our MAS collection.
On a clear night, stars will sparkle on the panorama and the moon is visible. Come admire them three nights in a row thanks to People’s Observatory Urania. Why does “people’s observatory” sounds like a communist institution but the Flemish version “volkssterrenwacht” does not?
On Saturday, Sunday and Monday evening from 8 to 10 PM, subject to clear weather. On presentation of the free ticket for the boulevard.
Ten shop toppers
Wondering which ten products were the most popular in 10 years of MASshop? Discover them only on 22, 23 and 24 May in the museum shop. And anyone who spends 10 euros in the shop will receive a free souvenir booklet with beautiful photos of MAS collection items.
Continous from 10 AM to 5 PM.
MAS at home
- ‘DJ’s on the roof‘. Dancing on the roof isn’t possible for the time being, but playing records is. Three old friends from the past ten years provide a thumping digital party for our birthday. Throw your legs loose at home (nobody sees it anyway) and enjoy the beautiful images of the city. Friday 21/05 from 6 PM. tot 9 PM. Digitally via the website or Facebook page of MAS.
- ‘MiJH TV‘. The new team of MAS in Young Hands is making a TV show. The team will be doing fun little reports in and around MAS. Are you curious about the flying fish in our collection? Or what the window cleaner is capable of Follow it all on the website. Follow them on the Instagram page the whole weekend long? Sunday 23/5 from 20 PM. also on this website
Visit the museum for free during the extended weekend of 22, 23 and 24 May. The museum halls are open from 10 AM to 5 PM, the panorama and the boulevard are also open to public from 5.30 PM to 10 PM.
MAS on Trip By Trip
- ‘100 X Congo’ exhibition at Museum Aan de Stroom (MAS) in Antwerp.
- ‘Cool Japan’ exhibition, Museum Aan de Stroom (MAS), Antwerp, 18 October 2019 to 19 April 2020.
- REVIEW | ‘Cool Japan’ exhibition at Museum Aan de Stroom (MAS) in Antwerp from 18 October 2019 to 19 April 2020.
3 Comments Add yours