Autumn 2021. In theory we could travel to other continents, but destinations we had in mind such as Japan or the United Kingdom were impossible to plan ahead. Instead we organised a rail trip to Eastern Europe, travelling to Berlin, Gdańsk, Wrocław, Karlovy Vary, Pilsen, Bratislava, Poprad, Vienna, Linz and Salzburg. By travelling to Germany, Poland, Czechia, Slovakia and Austria, we explore an area which was in the (not too distant) past bonded together by the Holy Roman Empire of the German Nation and by Austria-Hungary.
At first we only had half a day in Wrocław, pronounced ‘Vrotswav’ and also known by its German name Breslau, but a change in the travel plans meant we didn’t stop in Warsaw. It gained us a full day in the capital of Lower Silesia.
The museum was founded in 1965 and located in the historic Old Town or Stare Miasto we Wrocławiu. The museum is the only architecture museum in Poland. It is located in a 15th-century post-Bernardine set of buildings, including the St. Bernardine of Sienna Church and a monastic quadrangle with a garden.
The museum’s collections illustrate the evolution of architecture in general, although with a specific focus on Poland. The largest collection of stained glass in Poland can be found here.
Permanent exhibitions on display are:
- ‘Relics of Wroclaw’s Mediaeval Architecture’;
- ‘Architectural Craft from the Twelfth to the Twentieth Century’;
- ‘Wroclaw: Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow’;
- ‘The Art of Geometry: A Gallery of Polish Geometrical and Constructivist Art’.
Sounds promising. Admission was free that Sunday. Unfortunately we quickly saw why. Quite a few exhibition areas were closed off.
We did see the ‘Jan Szpakowicz. The Elementary Space‘ exhibition and could see the collection of stained glass.
2021 Rail Tour of Imperial Europe
- POTSDAM 2021 | Schloss Sanssouci.
- 1945 Potsdam Conference’s Cecilienhof Palace.
- Potsdam 2021.
- REVIEW | InterContinental Berlin.
- BERLIN 2021 | Pergamon, ‘Das Panorama’.
- BERLIN 2021 | Humboldt Forum in the Berlin Palace.
- BERLIN 2021 | The Bundestag in the Reichstag.
- Berlin 2021.
- By train from Berlin to Gdansk via Szczecin.
- Stopover in Szczecin.
- REVIEW | Restauracja Ritz in Gdańsk.
- REVIEW | Holiday Inn Gdansk.
- GDAŃSK | Museum of the Second World War.
- GDAŃSK | European Solidarity Centre or Europejskie Centrum Solidarności.
- A walk through Gdańsk.
- Gdańsk 2021.
- POLAND | PKP Intercity Gdansk to Wroclaw via Warsaw.