The Ostende-Vienne Orient Experience (O.V.O.E.) railway company has asked for a train path for night trains from Belgium to Salzburg and Innsbruck in Austria and to Milan in Italy. The night trans would be seasonal: from December to March.
The Regulatory Body for Railway Transport and Brussels Airport Operations has published two positive advices for O.V.O.E.
D-2021-S-03 states there’s no restriction for O.V.O.E. to operate a train to the State of Salzburg and Tyrol on Infrabel‘s tracks as it will not allow domestic train travel in Belgium. D-2021-S-02 says the same for the train to Lombardy. That train is coined as the Italia Express.
The company wants to use two night trains once a week during the ski season in the coming year. One train will transport ski travelers weekly between Brussels-Midi/South and Antwerp-Berchem and the ski areas between Salzburg and Innsbruck in the winter, from 17 December 2021 to 5 March 2022. Bischofshofen, Kitzbühel and Zell am See are possible stops.
“Having diner on board of an original Compagnie Internationale des Wagons-Lits et des Grands Express Européens (CIWL) coach, in the original settings. This concept is made possible by the Ostende-Vienne Orient Experience (O.V.O.E.) company”, the company introduces itself.
“We offer you a culinary experience on board of an original and restored CIWL-coach from the thirties. Enjoy the atmosphere of the great days, while enjoying a 4-course diner.”
“The mission of O.V.O.E. is to offer an experience, inspired on the journeys of traveling in rich and style of the thirties. We start with this experience in an original and restored CIWL coach from the thirties. These coaches will be placed on several places in Belgium.”
The maiden trip was planned for 2017. Did that happen?
There’s some company information to be found on O.V.O.E. It was founded in 2015 and last published annual financial statements in the Belgian Bulletin (Belgisch Staatsblad, Moniteur Belge) in 2020.
The company was founded by Kristof Blomme and Bart Warreyn. Both confirmed the news to Belgian press agency Belga.
More information would be nice
Will O.V.O.E. use its heritage coaches or more modern sleeper train rolling stock? Moonlight Express is using RDC Deutschland rolling stock and European Sleeper is teaming up with RegioJet. But what about O.V.O.E.?
- ‘Ook nachttrein naar Milaan, Salzburg en Innsbruck op komst’, Sara De Sloover, Bruzz, 06.05.2021.
- ‘Plannen voor nachttrein naar skigebieden (en Antwerpen komt daar ook in voor)’, Belga, ATV, 06.05.2021.
- ‘Des trains de nuit devraient à nouveau circuler vers les stations de ski autrichiennes’, Belga, Le Spir, 06.05.2021.
- ‘Ostende Vienne Orient Experience’, Staatsbladmonitor.be, retrieved on 06.05.2021.
- Not only Prague: RegioJet European Sleeper preparing Ostend – Warsaw night train.
- European Sleeper announces Berlin and Prague as destinations.
- Moonlight Express to offer night train services between Brussels, Liège and Berlin from April 2022.
- The couchette and sleeping cars for the Ostend – Brussels – Amsterdam – Berlin – Prague European Sleeper by RegioJet.
- The couchette and sleeping cars for the Brussels – Liège – Berlin Moonlight Express.
- Moonlight Express to include bar / restaurant coaches and sustainable quality food on Brussels – Liège – Berlin night train.
- 2021, European Year of Rail.
- ‘Green Speed’: Train operators Thalys and Eurostar to become one.
- European Sleeper to launch night train services from the Netherlands and Belgium in April 2022.
- Nightjet Vienna/Innsbruck to Brussels, or how we got thrown off the train in Aachen.
- NIGHTJET | Austrian Federal Railways ÖBB and Swiss Federal Railways SBB-CFF-FFS present 2024 Austro-Swiss night train plans for Europe.
- Why the expensive ÖBB Nightjet is really not that expensive.
- Reliving the era of the great railway journeys, travelling overnight on Nightjet.
- How we plan a big rail trip.
- Ticket Distribution: the failure of railways to sell themselves.
- Malmö – Cologne – Brussels Night train.
- BOOK REVIEW | ‘Night Trains, The Rise and Fall of the Sleeper’ by Andrew Martin.
- To use night trains in Portugal and Spain or not?.
- Night trains in Europe.
- Low-cost, long-haul trains to conquer Europe?.
- Fly now before it’s taxed and consider using the train instead.
- A passengers train from Antwerp in Belgium to Shanghai in China?.
- Venice Simplon-Orient-Express comes to Brussels in June 2021 and April 2022.