“Travelling by sleeper is comfortable, efficient, affordable, romantic and sustainable. The overnight sleeper is back in the spotlights again. The ambition to create a serious sleeper train network is widely shared throughout Europe. European Sleeper as a start-up company contributes to the revival of the sleeper train”, the website states.
“European Sleeper is part of the movement that put the overnight sleeper train back on the European map. It was founded by two entrepreneurs with a great passion for sleeper trains: Elmer van Buuren of Train2EU and Chris Engelsman of Noord West Express. With the founding of European Sleeper, we combine an enormous amount of valuable knowledge and experience.”
“Elmer has been fascinated by sleeper trains from childhood on. Boarding in the Netherlands in the evening, sleeping in a proper bed and waking up in the morning in another world. Elmer read timetables in bed like they were exciting boys’ books and has always wanted to become director of his own railway company.”
Chris used to live by the railway where the Noord West Express to Copenhagen, Warsaw and Moscow passed by. At that time, ten sleeper trains ran from the Netherlands every day. When the last one left in 2016, he could not let that go unchallenged.”
There are obviously challenges. Which rolling stock? The duo says there is comfortable rolling stock on the market. If the venture is successful, these coaches can be upgraded or new stock can be ordered.
Running (night) trains is expensive but Van Buuren and Engelsman are adamant it can attract leisure and business travellers.
More on night trains
- Nightjet Vienna/Innsbruck to Brussels, or how we got thrown off the train in Aachen.
- NIGHTJET | Austrian Federal Railways ÖBB and Swiss Federal Railways SBB-CFF-FFS present 2024 Austro-Swiss night train plans for Europe.
- Why the expensive ÖBB Nightjet is really not that expensive.
- Reliving the era of the great railway journeys, travelling overnight on Nightjet.
- How we plan a big rail trip.
- Ticket Distribution: the failure of railways to sell themselves.
- Malmö – Cologne – Brussels Night train.
- BOOK REVIEW | ‘Night Trains, The Rise and Fall of the Sleeper’ by Andrew Martin.
- Night train from Ninh Binh to Da Nang, a review of the Vietnamese Reunification Express.
- To use night trains in Portugal and Spain or not?.
- Night trains in Europe.
- ÖBB Nightjet to Brussels to ride three times a week, Innsbruck route scrapped.
- Low-cost, long-haul trains to conquer Europe?.
- Fly now before it’s taxed and consider using the train instead.
- From Barcelona to Vigo with a Renfe Talgo 7 night train.
- From Lisbon to Hendaye with a Renfe Talgo 4 night train.
- How to book a bed on Renfe’s Talgo night trains in Spain.
- Antwerp to Inverness.
Sources: Belga, European Sleeper, Treinreiziger.nl