Autumn 2021. In theory we could travel to other continents, but destinations we had in mind such as Japan or the United Kingdom were impossible to plan ahead. Instead we organised a rail trip to Eastern Europe, travelling to Berlin, Gdańsk, Wrocław, Karlovy Vary, Pilsen, Bratislava, Poprad, Vienna, Linz and Salzburg. By travelling to Germany, Poland, Czechia, Slovakia and Austria, we explore an area which was in the (not too distant) past bonded together by the Holy Roman Empire of the German Nation and by Austria-Hungary.
Danny found Restauracja Ritz in Gdańsk online and we booked a few weeks in advance. A six-course menu with wine pairing is right up our alley.
- Scallops with savoy cabbage, lardo and bottarga. Served with a chardonnay.
- Sea bass, salicornia, pickled lemon and saffron. Served with a riesling.
- Intermezzo of limoncello serbet.
- Foie gras, pigeon consommé, forest fruits and parsley root. Served with a gewürztraminer.
- Quail, barbarie duck, celery and truffle. Served with a corvina veronese.
- Chicory, buckwheat and caramelised hemp seeds as dessert. Served with coffee liqueur.
There were also some extras such as an amuse-bouche and a beetroot with cream cheese intermezzo. All this for 239 zloty. The wine pairing is 169 zloty.
Also we found it very practical the menu lists the served wines. More fine dining restaurants should do that.
Chef Barbara Ritz (Basia Ritz) won ‘Master Chef‘ in 2012. So Ritz doesn’t refer to the Ritz hotel name, started by César Ritz.
Thee 6+-course dinner was well balanced and produced typical Polish flavours. At least, what we as Belgians connect to Polish cuisine: potatoes, dill, cheese, onions etc. Sometimes it reminded us of Swedish flavours. The proximity to the same Baltic Sea perhaps?
Looking at the photos, I enjoyed the scallops, the sea bass and the foie gras the most. The dessert was also spot on.
We enjoyed the meal very much and we highly recommend dining at the Ritz.
2021 Rail Tour of Imperial Europe
- POTSDAM 2021 | Schloss Sanssouci.
- 1945 Potsdam Conference’s Cecilienhof Palace.
- Potsdam 2021.
- REVIEW | InterContinental Berlin.
- BERLIN 2021 | Pergamon, ‘Das Panorama’.
- BERLIN 2021 | Humboldt Forum in the Berlin Palace.
- BERLIN 2021 | The Bundestag in the Reichstag.
- Berlin 2021.
- By train from Berlin to Gdansk via Szczecin.
- Stopover in Szczecin.
67 Comments Add yours