2020. Corona. Travelling is a different game. Yet our Fernweh acted up too often. So we arranged a train trip to Germany and Austria. Specifically to Leipzig in Saxony, several spots in Bavaria and returning home with ÖBB‘s Nightjet from Innsbruck in Tyrol to Brussels in Belgium.
Lindau‘s geographical position makes it a heaven for trainspotters. At least that was the case until December 2020. Lindau Hauptbahnhof or Lindau Main Station saw trains from Germany, Austria and Switzerland. Lindau Haubtbahnhof was renamed on 12 December 2020 Lindau Insel, Lindau Island.
Lindau Insel was called Lindau Stadt (town) until 15 May 1936.
Old and new
Lindau Insel is a terminus station. Until December 2020, it saw trains from AXEL (now Netinera), DB Regio, ÖBB and SBB-CFF-FFS.
In December 2020 Lindau-Reutin opened. Being a through station, it slashes down journey times for intercity trains. Efficiency trumps charm and nostalgia.
Lindau Main Station, now Island, is not only a charming station, it is or was also heaven for train lovers. Many operators and a footbridge providing a great vantage point. What do you want more.
- The delicious German state secret: dining onboard Deutsche Bahn.
- VIDEO | Leipzig Hauptbahnhof.
- Leipzig Bayerischer Bahnhof.
- EAST GERMANY | Zeitgeschichtliches Forum, Leipzig’s GDR museum.
- Hyperion Leipzig.
- By ICE from Leipzig to Nuremberg.
- Nuremberg Transport Museum / DB Museum.
- Novotel Nuremberg City Centre.
- Documentation Center NS Party Rallying Grounds in Nuremberg.
- Nuremberg’s Zeppelin Field with the Norisring.
- Memorium Nuremberg Trials.
- Nuremberg’s real-life Playmobil Imperial Castle.
- You need at least two full days in Nuremberg.
- DB Regio from Nuremberg to Regensburg.
- Thurn und Taxis princely palace museum in Regensburg.
- Eurostars Park Hotel Maximilian Regensburg.
- With Alex from Regensburg to Munich.
- BMW Museum & BMW Welt in Munich.
- Munich’s Olympiapark.
- Sofitel Munich Bayerpost.
- Deutsches Museum’s Verkehrszentrum or Transport Centre in Munich.
- Deutsches Museum’s main site on Munich’s Museuminsel.
- By train to Neuschwanstein.
- Only 15 Minutes and No Photos in Schloss Neuschwanstein Castle.
- Museum of the Bavarian Kings in Schwangau near Neuschwanstein.
- Füssen in Bavaria, the gateway to Neuschwanstein.
- Münchner Stadtmuseum – Munich City Museum.
- MUNICH | Die Neue Sammlung – The Design Museum / Pinakothek der Moderne.
- Five days and four nights in Munich, including Neuschwanstein.
- By train to Lindau and Lake Constance.
- Lindau at or in Lake Constance.
- Hotel Bayerischer Hof Lindau.
- Nightjet Vienna/Innsbruck to Brussels, or how we got thrown off the train in Aachen.
13 Comments Add yours