“February and March have been quiet months at Kartonnen Dozen, Johanna says. “We therefore hope that from now on you will come to our store en masse, because we have a big challenge ahead of us.”
“We have to move in September and we don’t have a new location yet. To be able to finance the move, we will be crowdfunding this summer, but you can of course support us now: by ordering from us (via the webshop or in the store) or by ordering book vouchers from us to spend later.”
“You can also order book vouchers and have them sent to someone else. Enter the address of the lucky person in the shipping address and put in the comments box what we can write on the attached card. We love to do it.”
Pas is looking for a feasible new venue.
“By feasible I mean: affordable, practically organisable, in this neighborhood as moving again means getting our customers on board again and recruiting new customers, and that took us about four years here, or, for example, in a building together with a other organisation or business.”
Pas is looking for practical, doable and novel ideas.
The name of the bookshop translates as Cardboard Boxes in English and is actually the title of a gay coming of age novel by Tom Lannoye.
Apart from SOGIESC themed books, Johanna M Pas also sells DVD’s, memorabilia and other products you can find in bookshops. Mostly in Dutch, but also in English and sometimes in French.
SOGIESC, by the way, stands for sexual orientation (lesbian, bi, gay, …), gender identity and expression (cisgender, transgender, non-binary, …) and sex characteristics (e.g. intersex).
Pas and Kartonnen Dozen also sometimes publish novels and poetry. The bookshop also makes point of organizing book presentation, lectures and small events.
Kartonnen Dozen started life as ‘t Verschil, which was a shop and a publishing house. Under those two names, the initiative has been active for 25 years now.
- Rainbow zebra crossings of Antwerp.
- City chronicle ‘De kleur van de stad maakt mijn ziel amoureus’ recounts Queer Antwerp history.
- ‘Masculinities: Liberation through Photography’ exhibition at FOMU, Antwerp’s photography museum.
- Antwerp’s LGBTQI bookshop Kartonnen Dozen looking for a new home.
- Antwerp’s LGBTQI+ bookshop Kartonnen Dozen wins Çavaria Media Award.
- PHOTOS | Rainbows lit Antwerp.
- Flemish LGBTQI+ press support rainbow community in Ukraine.
- ALLEMAAL ANTWERPENAAR | Antwerp launches campaign to motivate citizens to stand up against discrimination and intimidation.
- Darklands 2022 programme, schedule, gym and concert – 4 to 9 May in Antwerp.
- ANTWERP | Darklands 2022 set to go ahead as scheduled on 4 to 9 May.
- Darklands 2022 hints at postponement.
- Darklands 2022 introduces Puppy Walk through streets of Antwerp.
- Darklands 2022: 4 to 9 May at Waagnatie, Antwerp.
- Darklands 2020 was the last dance before COVID-19.
Antwerp Pride 2022 & Antwerp Queer Arts Festival 2022
- Full edition ft. parade and festival days for Antwerp Pride 2022.
- Antwerp Pride 2022 from 10 to 14 August for a 15th edition.
- Open Call for contributors for Antwerp Queer Arts Festival 2022.
- AREAS OF ANTWERP | De Gerlachekaai at the Scheldt.
- AREAS OF ANTWERP | Sint-Andriesplein.
- Antwerp Pride 2021: “Long time, no see”.