Pride is more than party. Pride is protest. But pride is also a celebration and is also a party. That was – and as I’m writing this still is – unsurprisingly the reigning vibe this Antwerp Pride Saturday.
This year’s theme is ‘Not just words‘ and the Eddy Demarez incident couldn’t illustrate more its point.
But at the Pride Village, party, celebrations and seeing friends and acquaintances again took center stage. The same of course was and is true for other pride affiliated (or not) events such as Woodpop, Pride Fest or Terrazza. To name a few of the outdoor events which were hastily organised in the weeks and sometimes days before this pride weekend.
I had countless “long time, no see” conversations, catching up superficially with people I hadn’t seen in eighteen or so months.
During COVID-19 lockdowns we all had attention for friends, not so much for acquaintances.
It was als the first dance party I attended since Darklands 2020.
A covid safe event such as the Pride Village felt and feels like a giant leap towards normality. It felt so good kissing people hello.
- What to expect from Antwerp Pride 2021’s Pride Village on Saturday 14 and Sunday 15 August?.
- What to expect from Antwerp Pride 2021 amidst coronavirus countermeasures?.
- Antwerp Pride’s Pride Village will only be accessible with Covid Safe Ticket.
- Antwerp Pride 2021 programme and schedule.
- VIDEO | Antwerp Pride Trail of Stories 2021.
- Antwerp Pride 2021 ‘Trail of Stories’ route and featured people.
- Not Just Words: Antwerp Pride 2021 tackles hurtful language, plans open air events.
- Antwerp Pride 2021 plans Pride Village on 14 and 15 August at Operaplein.
- Antwerp Pride 11-15 August 2021 again without parade or major events.
- VIDEO | Antwerp Pride 2021 from 12 to 15 August, corona free?.
- Zaak zonder haat, a symbol for LGBTQI safe spaces in Antwerp.
- Antwerp Queer Arts Festival 2021 from 7 to 15 and to 29 August.
- Antwerp Queer Arts Festival 2021 programme and schedule.