Antwerp Pride 2021 drew to a close on Sunday with the second of the Pride Village at Operaplein and of course many parties organised by the gay catering sector in Antwerp. According to chairman Bart Abeel, some 15,000 people attended official Antwerp Pride activities. In COVID-19 times, this is a pretty number.
Thanks to the Covid Safe Ticket system, outdoor festival like activities could take place without face mask or social distancing. This meant dancing, celebrating, smooching, hugging and kissing.
Pride Village welcomed some 3,000 people on Saturday and on Sunday. There were parties at Steenplein and Theaterplein and together with Opening Night at OLT Rivierenhof in Deurne, Antwerp Pride counted 15,000 attendees.
Abeel says in Gazet van Antwerpen there were also many visitors from the Netherlands, France and Germany.
Abeel hopes for a 2022 Antwerp Pride without coronavirus related restrictions. So with a pride parade and a larger festival area.
In 2019, the then called Love United Festival hosted 20,000 pride-goers. This means a future Pride Village or whatever it will be called will not be organised at Operaplein. The square can’t handle 20k people.
I really enjoyed the location. Gentle on your feet – no cobblestones! – but also light, bright, with a gorgeous backdrop thanks to Opera Ballet Vlaanderen and conveniently near Antwerp-Central Railway Station.
So mark your calendar for the second weekend of August 2022 for Antwerp Pride 2022, the 15th edition. That’s Wednesday 10, Thursday 11, Friday 12, Saturday 13 and Sunday 15 August.
- Antwerp Pride 2021: “Long time, no see”.
- What to expect from Antwerp Pride 2021’s Pride Village on Saturday 14 and Sunday 15 August?.
- What to expect from Antwerp Pride 2021 amidst coronavirus countermeasures?.
- Antwerp Pride’s Pride Village will only be accessible with Covid Safe Ticket.
- Antwerp Pride 2021 programme and schedule.
- VIDEO | Antwerp Pride Trail of Stories 2021.
- Antwerp Pride 2021 ‘Trail of Stories’ route and featured people.
- Not Just Words: Antwerp Pride 2021 tackles hurtful language, plans open air events.
- Antwerp Pride 2021 plans Pride Village on 14 and 15 August at Operaplein.
- Antwerp Pride 11-15 August 2021 again without parade or major events.
- VIDEO | Antwerp Pride 2021 from 12 to 15 August, corona free?.
- Zaak zonder haat, a symbol for LGBTQI safe spaces in Antwerp.
- Antwerp Queer Arts Festival 2021 from 7 to 15 and to 29 August.
- Antwerp Queer Arts Festival 2021 programme and schedule.
44 Comments Add yours