Thalys is refurbishing its trains at considerable expense. In 2024, Thalys will merge with Eurostar. Thalys will disappear as brand. Eurostar has blue and yellow as main colours. So is the refurbishing a costly activity? Thalys CEO Bertrand Gosselin says the ex-Thalys trains will remain red.
Thalys calls its current shade of red ‘ruby‘. It’s has a burgundy vibe with a touch of pink.
“Eurostar has become an umbrella brand”, Gosselin is quoted by RailTech.com. “We will retain two products: red and blue. Red for the current Thalys trains and blue for Eurostar. Then we will have two products that are a little different from each other, but under a common brand.”
Currently Thalys uses PBA and PBKA electric multiple units (EMUs). The PBAs are also known as TGV Réseau and were built by GEC-Alstom between 1992 and 1996. They are 25 years old. The PBKA is also built by Alstom and is slightly younger (1995-1998).
So even with a refurbishment, they will have to be replaced at some point. It will not be a surprise if then there will be a livery change.
Eurostar uses the British Rail Class 373 or TGV TMST, sometimes referred to as Eurostar e300. It was built by Alstom and BN Constructions Ferroviaires et Métalliques between 1992 and 1996.
The British Rail Class 374, also referred to as the Eurostar e320 are Siemens Velaro trains built between 2011 and 2018.
More on Thalys and Eurostar
- Thalys replaces Welcome Bar with unstaffed Kiosk.
- GREEN SPEED | 2024 Eurostar – Thalys merger marks the end of Thalys brand.
- ‘Green Speed’: Train operators Thalys and Eurostar to become one.
- ‘Disney Express’ by Thalys to Disneyland Paris / Marne-la-Vallée – Chessy.
- REVIEW | Thalys Lounge at Brussels South/Midi station.
- Antwerp – Brussels – Paris in Thalys Comfort 1.
- Travelling in Thalys Premium.
- What to do when your Eurostar train gets cancelled?.
- London – Lille – Brussels in Eurostar’s refurbished e300 / Class 373 / TMST.
- Eurostar will run after Brexit: France grants train operations license.
- How will Brexit affect Eurostar train services?.
- Eurostar finally to call Antwerp-Central and offer a direct link to London?.
- Brussels – London with Eurostar in Standard Premier.
29 Comments Add yours