2020. Corona. Travelling is a different game. Yet our Fernweh acted up too often. So we arranged a train trip to Germany and Austria. Specifically to Leipzig in Saxony, several spots in Bavaria and returning home with ÖBB‘s Nightjet from Innsbruck in Tyrol to Brussels in Belgium.
Munich has an array of museums. Maybe you have already heard the word ‘Pinakothek‘. Well, there are three: the Old, the New and the Modern. The Alte Pinakothek, the Neue Pinakothek and Pinakothek der Moderne.
We did the Modern. Part of the Pinakothek der Moderne is the Neue Sammlung (New Collection) or The Design Museum. Yes, the branding is complicated and I’m not completely up to speed with the situation.
So be it.
Danny is into design and engineering and less into the classics and I can’t say I dislike these themes. As you can see on the photos and the time lapse, both the building and the collection are worth a visit.
Car design, Bauhaus, interior design, household appliances but also paintings, sculptures and other works of art. The Neue Sammlung and the Pinakothek der Moderne have a really nice collection.
Unfortunately, it’s not the building or the collection I remember most. I remember the nervousness, animosity and even hostility of staff. Was it corona stress? Possibly. But we didn’t feel welcome. We were almost spied on. Or followed like we were some wild school children.
I don’t know why, I only know it was very unpleasant.
- The delicious German state secret: dining onboard Deutsche Bahn.
- VIDEO | Leipzig Hauptbahnhof.
- Leipzig Bayerischer Bahnhof.
- EAST GERMANY | Zeitgeschichtliches Forum, Leipzig’s GDR museum.
- Hyperion Leipzig.
- By ICE from Leipzig to Nuremberg.
- Nuremberg Transport Museum / DB Museum.
- Novotel Nuremberg City Centre.
- Documentation Center NS Party Rallying Grounds in Nuremberg.
- Nuremberg’s Zeppelin Field with the Norisring.
- Memorium Nuremberg Trials.
- Nuremberg’s real-life Playmobil Imperial Castle.
- You need at least two full days in Nuremberg.
- DB Regio from Nuremberg to Regensburg.
- Thurn und Taxis princely palace museum in Regensburg.
- Eurostars Park Hotel Maximilian Regensburg.
- With Alex from Regensburg to Munich.
- BMW Museum & BMW Welt in Munich.
- Munich’s Olympiapark.
- Sofitel Munich Bayerpost.
- Deutsches Museum’s Verkehrszentrum or Transport Centre in Munich.
- Deutsches Museum’s main site on Munich’s Museuminsel.
- By train to Neuschwanstein.
- Only 15 Minutes and No Photos in Schloss Neuschwanstein Castle.
- Museum of the Bavarian Kings in Schwangau near Neuschwanstein.
- Füssen in Bavaria, the gateway to Neuschwanstein.
- Münchner Stadtmuseum – Munich City Museum.
- Nightjet Vienna/Innsbruck to Brussels, or how we got thrown off the train in Aachen.