So, Italy won the the 2021 Eurovision Song Contest, in Rotterdam. Måneskin won thanks to the popular vote with their song ‘Zitti e buoni’. “Sit still and be good“. So, the ESC goes to Italy in 2022. But where and when?
Songfestival.be looked at the possibilities. This Belgian Eurovision news site estimates the circus will be broadcast from Italy on 10, 12 and 14 May 2022.
Which city will host ESC 2022? Turin, Milan or Rome.
So this the perfect opportunity to travel by train, as these cities are train hubs. Train travel is on the up so there’s no excuse.
Torino Porta Nuova
Torino Porta Nuova (Turin New Gate) is the main railway station of Turin. It is the third busiest station in Italy for passenger flow after Roma Termini (Rome Termini) and Milano Centrale (Milan Central), with about 192,000 journeys per day and 70 million travellers a year and a total of about 350 trains per day. Porta Nuova is a terminal station, with trains arriving perpendicularly to the facade. The station is located in Corso Vittorio Emanuele II, right in front of Piazza Carlo Felice.
Milano Centrale is the main railway station of the city of Milan and is the largest railway station in Europe by volume. The station is a terminus and located at the northern end of central Milan. It was officially inaugurated in 1931 to replace the old central station (built 1864), which was a transit station but with a limited number of tracks and space, so could not handle the increased traffic caused by the opening of the Simplon tunnel in 1906.
Milano Centrale has high-speed connections to Turin in the west, Venice via Verona in the east and on the north-south mainline to Bologna, Rome, Naples and Salerno. The Simplon and Gotthard railway lines connect Milano Centrale to Bern and Geneva via Domodossola and Zürich via Chiasso in Switzerland.
- From Milan to Sankt Moritz on the iconic Bernina Express line.
- Holiday Inn Milan Garibaldi station.
- By Red Arrow to Milan.
Roma Termini is the main railway station of Rome. It is named after the district of the same name, which in turn took its name from ancient Baths of Diocletian (in Latin, thermae), which lie across the street from the main entrance.
A Nightjet comes from Munich and Vienna. In non-corona times there’s also the Thello from Paris.
But Paris1972-Versailles2003 has. A few of his posts.
Previously on Eurovision
- Eurovision Song Contest 2021 in Rotterdam at the Ahoy Arena.
- Bulgaria wins Eurovision Song Contest 2020.
- Switzerland wins Eurovision Song Contest 2020.
- Impressions of Eurovision Song Contest 2020 host city Rotterdam.
- HOW TO | Travel to the Eurovision Song Contest.
- Malta wins 2021 Eurovision Song Contest.
Trains in Italy
- How we plan a big rail trip.
- Trenitalia Frecciarossa high speed train between Florence and Venice in Business Executive class.
- 2018 Rail Tour of France, Italy and Switzerland.
- From Locarno to Brig, via the Centovalli, through Italy and the Simplon tunnel.