Autumn 2021. In theory we could travel to other continents, but destinations we had in mind such as Japan or the United Kingdom were impossible to plan ahead. Instead we organised a rail trip to Eastern Europe, travelling to Berlin, Gdańsk, Wrocław, Karlovy Vary, Pilsen, Bratislava, Poprad, Vienna, Linz and Salzburg. By travelling to Germany, Poland, Czechia, Slovakia and Austria, we explore an area which was in the (not too distant) past bonded together by the Holy Roman Empire of the German Nation and by Austria-Hungary.
After getting wet in the various swimming pools at the AquaCity complex we also stayed the night there.
The complex boasts four hotels, of which two where on-site and two others were either a walk or a shuttle ride away.
We were staying at the Seasons which was one of the on-site hotels, the other being the Mountain View at the far end of the building. Check -in was strict as they checked our COVID-19 passes and we had to sign a declaration of showing no symptoms, but friendly and efficient. We received a room on the 4th floor, featuring a view of the building roof.
The room itself was small but convenient. It was nicely decorated in a modern design. The beds where ok with power plugs at both sides. There was a small desk area, a fully stocked minibar and coffee and tea facilities.
The bathroom was small but had a nice rain shower with good water pressure. Toiletries where both a big multi-use dispenser for hand soaps but small bottles for shower gel and shampoo. There where towels on the room as well as bathrobes which you could use to get changed in your room and wear to go to the pool area.
Included in the room rate was a half board buffet in the High Tatras restaurant.
In the evening there was a basic but good tasting dinner buffet. The buffet was setup in a rather strange way as it seemed to be an afterthought and quickly setup in the hallway. Food wasn’t very inspiring but it tasted well. The desserts where of a better quality than in Hotel Imperial in Karlovy Vary.
In the morning the breakfast spread was bigger than the dinner spread and offered items of good taste and quality
2021 Rail Tour of Imperial Europe
- POTSDAM 2021 | Schloss Sanssouci.
- 1945 Potsdam Conference’s Cecilienhof Palace.
- Potsdam 2021.
- REVIEW | InterContinental Berlin.
- BERLIN 2021 | Pergamon, ‘Das Panorama’.
- BERLIN 2021 | Humboldt Forum in the Berlin Palace.
- BERLIN 2021 | The Bundestag in the Reichstag.
- Berlin 2021.
- By train from Berlin to Gdansk via Szczecin.
- Stopover in Szczecin.
- REVIEW | Restauracja Ritz in Gdańsk.
- REVIEW | Holiday Inn Gdansk.
- GDAŃSK | Museum of the Second World War.
- GDAŃSK | European Solidarity Centre or Europejskie Centrum Solidarności.
- A walk through Gdańsk.
- Gdańsk 2021.
- POLAND | PKP Intercity Gdansk to Wroclaw via Warsaw.
- Wrocław Museum of Architecture.
- The Dwarfs of Wrocław.
- Poland 2021.
- By train from Wroclaw to Karlovy Vary.
- Karlovy Vary.
- REVIEW | Hotel Imperial Karlovy Vary.
- Czechia’s Great Spa Town of Europe Františkovy Lázně.
- CZECHIA | Pilsen Historical Underground Tunnels.
- CZECHIA | Pilsner Urquell Brewery Tour.
- CZECHIA | Pilsen.
- CZECHIA 2021 | Cheb and its castle.
- Hotel room for one.
- By train from Karlovy Vary to Prague via Pilsen.
- Czechia 2021.
- RegioJet from Prague to Bratislava.
- Bratislava Castle.
- REVIEW | Crowne Plaza Bratislava.
- Bratislava on a rainy Monday.
- ZSSK Fast Train Tatran from Bratislava to Strba.
- The Tatra rack and electric Railway from Strba via Strbske Pleso to Poprad tatry.
- SLOVAKIA | AquaCity Poprad.