Every year, Antwerp Pride has a theme. In 2022 it was ‘Queertopia‘. In 2023 the theme is ‘Braveolution’. Spokesperson Wilfried Eetezonne unveiled the theme at the organisation’s New Year’s Reception at MoMu, the Antwerp fashion museum.
Such New Year’s Receptions are a moment to launch the year and to see friends, acquaintances and other people you know and to have short “hi, hi” conversations.
Outgoing chairman Bart Abeel was feted for his fifteen-year tenure at the helm of the organisation. He was thanked for his work and he thanked the many volunteers for their contribution.
Antwerp Pride also received its Touristico Gaylive Award for Event of The Year.
Festivities and inclusion
New chairman Geert Van Praet introduced himself. He has been on the board of directors for six years. Coming from a party organising background, he wants to continue to offer pride attendees a good time.
Simultaneously, Van Praet wants to deepen inclusivity. There is already an Inclusivity Cell which is consulted on matters such as choosing a theme.
Bjorn Lommelen was announced as the new coordinator of Antwerp Pride. He succeeds to Davide Secci.
Theme : Braveolution
This years’ theme is Braveolution. Let’s evolve to (Antwerp being) a brave space.
What is a brave space? “People can be themselves in safe spaces. They are protected against discrimination, sexism, racism or homophobia. The doors may sometimes be closed. But not always. They also need to swing open. Then a safe space becomes a brave space”, Reyhan Görgöz, Bart Van Bouchaute and Peter Cristiaensen describe brave space in ‘Van safe naar brave spaces: jongeren op de bres tegen onrecht‘ on Sociaal.net.
While Safe Space looks inwards, Brave Space acknowledges challenges and expects people to contribute to safety. And that implies being braves sometimes and not retreat to the safe space.
LGBTQIA+ organisations çavaria and Wel Jong are working on ‘Veilige(re) en Vertrouwde Omgevingen‘ (VVO) or ‘Safe(r) and Familiar Surroundings‘.
Antwerp Pride is opening up that space and the debate. Antwerp Pride wants the city to be a brave space for everyone, year-round. Antwerp Pride wants people to speak up when they see injustices or unsafe situations. On the street, at school, at work, while partying and so on.
It starts now
The announcement of the theme is only the beginning. A programme and schedule will follow, people and partners will have ideas and input. An Antwerp Pride Magazine will be published, printed and distributed.
Antwerp Pride 2023 & Antwerp Queer Arts Festival 2023
- Antwerp Queer Arts Festival 2023 seeks contributors.
- ANTWERP PRIDE | Geert Van Praet succeeds retiring chairperson Bart Abeel.
- PHOTOS | Antwerp Pride 2023 from Wednesday 9 to Sunday 13 August.
- Antwerp Pride 2022 made big impact with Queertopia, monkeypox highjacked the festivities.
- DARKLANDS 2023 | Programme and schedule.
- DARKLANDS 2023 | A-Stay to become official Darklands: The Hotel.
- Darklands 2023 from Tuesday 7 to Tuesday 14 March in Antwerp.
- MONKEYPOX IN BELGIUM | Darklands warns visitors, as gay men are more at risk.
- Darklands 2023 to and from Deep Space.
- Antwerp Pride, Jeffrey’s, Marie Antoinette, Armand Everaert win 2023 Touristico Gaylive Awards.
- ANTWERP | LGBTQIA+ bookshop Kartonnen Dozen stops.
- Rainbow zebra crossings of Antwerp.
- Rainbow zebra crossing in Borgerhout.
- Rainbow zebra crossing in Berchem.
- City chronicle ‘De kleur van de stad maakt mijn ziel amoureus’ recounts Queer Antwerp history.
- ‘Masculinities: Liberation through Photography’ exhibition at FOMU, Antwerp’s photography museum.
- Antwerp’s LGBTQI+ bookshop Kartonnen Dozen wins Çavaria Media Award.
- PHOTOS | Rainbows lit Antwerp.
- Flemish LGBTQI+ press support rainbow community in Ukraine.
- ALLEMAAL ANTWERPENAAR | Antwerp launches campaign to motivate citizens to stand up against discrimination and intimidation.
- Borgerhout flies intersex inclusive Rainbow Progress Pride Flag for IDAHOT.
16 Comments Add yours