It’s that time of the year again: Antwerp Pride and Antwerp Queer Arts Festival. Pride focuses on the second weekend of August: from Wednesday 10 to Sunday 14. AQAF runs from 5 to 28 August. In 2022, Antwerp Pride turns 15 and looks 15 years into the future under the banner of ‘Queertopia‘. AQAF hasn’t communicated a specific theme.
Since a few years, the organising committee of Antwerp Pride gets the question if a more quiet spot can be arranged. Because, let’s face it, the parade and the Love United Festival are very crowded and very loud and they can be too much to handle.
Enter ‘Pride in Town‘.
“On the cosy Sint-Andriesplaats we set up a smaller festival far from the beats and the spots for everyone who needs a quieter Pride experience. Here you can go for a spoken word program, curated by Johanna Pas and Hind Eljadid.”
Add a bit of cabaret by artist Bert van Puymbroeck or spoken word by Inke Gieghase. “It is a space to enjoy one of the literary and spoken word performances with Sarah Bekambo, Inke Gieghase and Maria Darah musically accompanied by Calya J. curated by Hind Eljadid and Johanna Pas.”
There will be no activities held between 1 PM and 4 PM due to the Pride Parade.
“The starting DJs of the Queer DJ project provide a pleasant sound. The Pride Dates also take place here: just like last year, you can make new friends during the Pride Dates that you might not get to know in your regular social life. We organize Pride in Town together with the cultural meeting center coStA.”
The Sint-Andriesplein or St. Andrew’s Square is situated in the heart of Sint-Andries, St. Andrew’s, neighbourhood of Antwerp.
Sint-Andries is or was a popular neighbourhood Antwerp. Popular in the vulgar, folksy, low-brow sense of the word. It is or was an area for people with low income. Hence it’s also known as a ‘red’, leftist neighbourhood.
Is it still the case? As elsewhere in Antwerp, gentrification is very active.
Visit Antwerp even rejects the poor past of St. Andrew’s. “Sint-Andries was once called ‘the Parish of Misery’, but that time is long gone. The ModeMuseum is the face of the district and in the neighborhood of Nationalestraat and Kammenstraat, vintage and haute couture go hand in hand. This neighborhood is constantly changing. Don’t miss the Kloosterstraat, with shops full of treasures of antiques and brocante.”
St. Andrew’s Square
“The Sint-Andriesplaats will also get a rainbow makeover”, Antwerp Pride announced. “De Sint-Andriesplaats krijgt eveneens een regenbooginvulling“, the Dutch version says. Which is not exactly the same. So it remains to be seen what will happen there.
The St. Andrew’s Square is small, so I don’t see any festival or party happening. Perhaps something more tame and age appropriate?
Antwerp Pride 2022 & Antwerp Queer Arts Festival 2022
- Antwerp Pride 2022 theme, programme and schedule.
- Antwerp Queer Arts Festival 2022 programme and schedule.
- Antwerp Pride Parade 2022 route & map.
- ANTWERP PRIDE 2022 | ‘Trail of Stories’ from 1 to 31 August.
- ANTWERP PRIDE 2022 | Opening concert night at OLT Rivierenhof.
- ANTWERP PRIDE 2022 | Human Rights Friday.
- ANTWERP PRIDE 2022 | Antwerp Pride Parade on Saturday 13 August 2022.
- ANTWERP PRIDE 2022 | Love United Festival after the parade, at Cockerillkaai.
- ANTWERP PRIDE 2022 | Eurovision Song Contest royalty Johnny Logan at Antwerp Pride Closing Festival.
- ANTWERP PRIDE 2022 | Pride Village at Cockerillkaai.
- ANTWERP PRIDE 2022 | The 11 locations of the Trail of Stories.
- ANTWERP PRIDE 2022 | Pride Information Center at Stadsfeestzaal.
- ANTWERP PRIDE 2022 | Café Den Draak’s Midsummer Party at Draakplaats on Thursday 10 August.
- ANTWERP PRIDE 2022 | Ladies* party at Vrijdagmarkt on Friday 12 August.
- Antwerp Queer Arts Festival 2022 from 5 to 28 August.
- Full edition ft. parade and festival days for Antwerp Pride 2022.
- Antwerp Pride 2022 from 10 to 14 August for a 15th edition.
- AREAS OF ANTWERP | De Gerlachekaai at the Scheldt.
- AREAS OF ANTWERP | Sint-Andriesplein.
- Antwerp Pride 2021: “Long time, no see”.
- Rainbow zebra crossings of Antwerp.
- Rainbow zebra crossing in Borgerhout.
- Antwerp’s LGBTQIA+ bookshop Kartonnen Dozen needs new location by September 2022.
- City chronicle ‘De kleur van de stad maakt mijn ziel amoureus’ recounts Queer Antwerp history.
- ‘Masculinities: Liberation through Photography’ exhibition at FOMU, Antwerp’s photography museum.
- ANTWERP | LGBTQIA+ bookshop Kartonnen Dozen looking for new manager or takeover.
- Antwerp’s LGBTQI bookshop Kartonnen Dozen looking for a new home.
- Antwerp’s LGBTQI+ bookshop Kartonnen Dozen wins Çavaria Media Award.
- PHOTOS | Rainbows lit Antwerp.
- Flemish LGBTQI+ press support rainbow community in Ukraine.
- ALLEMAAL ANTWERPENAAR | Antwerp launches campaign to motivate citizens to stand up against discrimination and intimidation.
- Borgerhout flies intersex inclusive Rainbow Progress Pride Flag for IDAHOT.
- DARKLANDS 2023 | A-Stay to become official Darklands: The Hotel.
- Darklands 2023 from Tuesday 7 to Tuesday 14 March in Antwerp.
- MONKEYPOX IN BELGIUM | Darklands warns visitors, as gay men are more at risk.
- Darklands 2023 to and from Deep Space.
- Darklands 2022 programme, schedule, gym and concert – 4 to 9 May in Antwerp.
- ANTWERP | Darklands 2022 set to go ahead as scheduled on 4 to 9 May.
- Darklands 2022 hints at postponement.
- Darklands 2022 introduces Puppy Walk through streets of Antwerp.
- Darklands 2022: 4 to 9 May at Waagnatie, Antwerp.
- Darklands 2020 was the last dance before COVID-19.
8 Comments Add yours