It’s that time of the year again: Antwerp Pride and Antwerp Queer Arts Festival. Pride focuses on the second weekend of August: from Wednesday 10 to Sunday 14. AQAF runs from 5 to 28 August. In 2022, Antwerp Pride turns 15 and looks 15 years into the future under the banner of ‘Queertopia‘. AQAF hasn’t communicated a specific theme.
The parade is back. Yes, Antwerp Pride chooses to include floats, trucks and music. Pride is protest, for sure, but pride is also party. It’s good to recognize the roots of pride as being protest and demonstration, but prides and the world continue to evolve.
“The Antwerp Pride Parade is back”, the website exclaims.
“The parade is back. How we have missed to sashay and parade through the city in a positive and festive atmosphere.Pride is protest and what better way to protest than to show who we are and what we stand for in all our lovely colours. Just like two years ago – yes, it was that long – we ask all participants to come together at the Sint-Jansplein in Antwerp North.
“From noon (12 PM) we will release positive love vibes on the square.Then we march as a group to the Paardenmarkt where the trucks will be ready and the parade will be set up.
The parade starts at 2 PM and immediately dives into the Hessenbrug to wave to the Hessenhuis Café . A little further the parade turns left on Oude Leeuwenrui and Brouwersvliet in the direction of the river Scheldt. The route then goes along the river on the Van Meterenkaai and goes on to the site of the Love United Festival where the party can explode.
“If you come to watch the parade, there are good views everywhere along the route, so please spread out along the route to cheer on your favourite floats.”
Gays in the media
During the annual beginning-of-July press conference, Antwerp Pride emphasized the presence of a media float.
Gays in the media, is that special? Everything but. But the major media groups doing something together, is.
“One of the many striking participants in the parade will be the float on which all major media groups will come together in a kind of Pride Pax Media. VRT, SBS, DPG Media and Mediahuis, together with queer channel OUTtv, will join the parade for the first time.”
CEOs Jeroen Bronselaer (SBS), Frederik Delaplace (VRT), Koen Verwee (Mediahuis), Kris Vervaet (DPG Media) and Marc Putman (OUTtv) are unanimous. “Although it should go without saying today that everyone is free to choose as When it comes to love, faith, identity and sexuality, we want to express our support for diversity, equality and inclusion. Together with the Antwerp Pride we embrace all people. We are already trying to reflect this warm, inclusive and positive society today: both in front of and behind the scenes. There is still work to be done, but it is our sincere ambition to always give a voice to all people, regardless of rank, position or belief and with respect for every talent. That doesn’t feel like an obligation, but it does feel like an incredibly beautiful privilege.”
- Warm-up at Sint-Jansplein from noon.
- Start at Paardenmarkt at 2 PM.
Antwerp Pride 2022 & Antwerp Queer Arts Festival 2022
- Antwerp Pride 2022 theme, programme and schedule.
- Antwerp Queer Arts Festival 2022 programme and schedule.
- ANTWERP PRIDE 2022 | ‘Trail of Stories’ from 1 to 31 August.
- ANTWERP PRIDE 2022 | Opening concert night at OLT Rivierenhof.
- Antwerp Queer Arts Festival 2022 from 5 to 28 August.
- Full edition ft. parade and festival days for Antwerp Pride 2022.
- Antwerp Pride 2022 from 10 to 14 August for a 15th edition.
- AREAS OF ANTWERP | De Gerlachekaai at the Scheldt.
- AREAS OF ANTWERP | Sint-Andriesplein.
- Antwerp Pride 2021: “Long time, no see”.
- Rainbow zebra crossings of Antwerp.
- Rainbow zebra crossing in Borgerhout.
- Antwerp’s LGBTQIA+ bookshop Kartonnen Dozen needs new location by September 2022.
- City chronicle ‘De kleur van de stad maakt mijn ziel amoureus’ recounts Queer Antwerp history.
- ‘Masculinities: Liberation through Photography’ exhibition at FOMU, Antwerp’s photography museum.
- ANTWERP | LGBTQIA+ bookshop Kartonnen Dozen looking for new manager or takeover.
- Antwerp’s LGBTQI bookshop Kartonnen Dozen looking for a new home.
- Antwerp’s LGBTQI+ bookshop Kartonnen Dozen wins Çavaria Media Award.
- PHOTOS | Rainbows lit Antwerp.
- Flemish LGBTQI+ press support rainbow community in Ukraine.
- ALLEMAAL ANTWERPENAAR | Antwerp launches campaign to motivate citizens to stand up against discrimination and intimidation.
17 Comments Add yours