As with the rest of the Antwerp Scheldt Quays, the area between Sint-Andries (St. Andrew) and ‘t Zuid (The South) is being renovated. hat is the area on the Scheldt between the part that has already been redeveloped and Sint-Michielstraat. These works will end in the spring of 2023, AG Vespa has announced.
In order to create a whole with the already renovated part, the current dike path will be extended further. There will also be various seating areas, a playground, two sports fields and a skate zone behind the dike.
The southern flank of Sint-Michielsbastion (St. Michael’s Bastion) – the remains of which were mapped in 2010 – will be visibly integrated into the quay plain.
There will also be extra greenery along the side of the road and along the Scheldt, including birch, maple, black alder, tulip tree, poplar, oak, willow and elm. The road on Sint-Michielskaai will also be redeveloped with a wide footpath, a new cycle path and a parking strip.
Furthermore, the block lime trees along the facades are replaced by field maples, the roots of which are given more room to grow. The lime trees along the harbor fence will be preserved.
The flood defense wall will also be replaced, which works will take place from April to October 2022.
On the look of Antwerp
- AREAS OF ANTWERP | Scheldekaaien or Scheldt Quays.
- AREAS OF ANTWERP | Zurenborg.
- AREAS OF ANTWERP | Cogels-Osylei between Berchem and Antwerp’s Zurenborg neighbourhood.
- AREAS OF ANTWERP | De Gerlachekaai at the Scheldt.
- AREAS OF ANTWERP | Sint-Andriesplein.
- ANTWERP | City forest, orchard and pond for Nieuw Zuid Scheldt Quays by 2024.
- Redesigning Antwerp’s central Scheldt Quays between Noorderterras and Zuiderterras.
- Borsbeek to become Antwerp’s 10th district.
- Antwerp’s Droogdokkensite redeveloped into maritime experience area.
- VIDEO | The renovation of Antwerp City Hall.
- Antwerp-Central Railway Station to get new facade lights.
- Antwerp’s renewed Scheldt Quays at Loodswezen to get World War II victims memorial.
- ANTWERP | 2023-2024 Park Gedempte Zuiderdokken to have grass and water.
- ANTWERP | Bonapartedok to become centre for water sports and recreation.
- PHOTOS | Het Steen, Antwerp’s new Visitor Centre.
- VIDEO | Walking the future Spoorpark between Zurenborg (Antwerp) and Borgerhout.
- 5 spots in Antwerp to soak up the sun for free.
- VIDEO | Sunset over Antwerp’s Scheldt river.
- Antwerp to be car-free by 2024?.
- BOOK | ‘Antwerp. An Archaeological View on the Origin of the City’ by Tim Bellens.
- Antwerp landmark Boerentoren to become Art & Culture Tower by 2027.
- Antwerp to get a pedestrian and cyclist bridge over the Scheldt.
- VIDEO | Bicycle ramp for Parkbrug at Park Spoor Noord / ‘t Eilandje in Antwerp opened.
- VIDEO | Antwerp researching old castle at Noorderterras.
- VIDEO | Pedestrian bridge in Antwerp’s Stadspark restored.
- Antwerp’s Rubens House to have new visitor centre by 2024.
- ANTWERP | Rubens House to close on 9 January 2023 and reopen in 2027.
- Noorderterras to become Kaailine, Antwerp’s New York-inspired High Line.