The City of Antwerp gave the go-ahead today for the next and final phase in the construction of Park Groot Schijn. In this phase, the construction of the last trails and surrounding nature is planned in the northern part of the park.
Thanks to a constructive collaboration between the city, district, associations and users, the area, which was previously divided into various sports and recreational areas, has been transformed into one large green park of 83 hectares. “City and nature come together here”, the press release says.
Summer of 2023
After the redevelopment of the southern and central part of Park Groot Schijn, with the various sports facilities and the pedestrian bridge, it is time for the northern part. At the end of this phase, all paths and surrounding nature will have been constructed.
The city wants to extend the green image of the park completely with extra plantings of hedge plants and trees. If everything goes smoothly, the works will be completed by the summer of 2023.
This phase proceeds in three different parts. Contractor Hens nv will first tackle the park lane between the Ruggeveldlaan in Deurne and the cemetery. Then it is the turn of the August van de Wielelei towards the cemetery. Finally, they complete the paths to the youth room and dog school.
Nuisance remains limited
During the works, the accessibility of the various rooms and facilities in Park Groot Schijn will be largely guaranteed via the other paths. Parking will no longer be possible, except in the Sportoase car park. Loading and unloading is still possible on request.
Attention to greenery and lighting
The plantings for new, extra greenery are planned for the end of 2022. A total of 13,610 hedge plants and 867 trees will be added. As in the other parts of the park, the city chose a mix of willows and alders, ornamental trees such as cherry trees and vigorous native species such as pedunculate oaks and ash. In addition, the lighting will be renewed as in the rest of the park.
Alderman for Greenery Els Van Doesburg (N-VA): “Antwerp residents can be genuinely proud of this beautiful project. Step by step we succeed in turning a patchwork quilt, with a maze of clubs and grounds, into one beautiful green park. A place for every Antwerp resident , young and old. With the start of this third phase, the northern part of the park will now also receive a green makeover. With a mix of extra trees and plants, we will continue the green image completely. With the new Park Groot Schijn we are creating a green lung in the city of no less than 83 hectares.”
Further on the calendar
In the meantime, the construction of a school in the Scholenkamer is also continuing, as are the works on the youth rooms and the Scinthoeve. In the future, the city will tackle the caravan site at the Makro and sports room two and there will be another sports hall in the school room.
On the look of Antwerp
- AREAS OF ANTWERP | Scheldekaaien or Scheldt Quays.
- AREAS OF ANTWERP | Zurenborg.
- AREAS OF ANTWERP | Cogels-Osylei between Berchem and Antwerp’s Zurenborg neighbourhood.
- AREAS OF ANTWERP | De Gerlachekaai at the Scheldt.
- AREAS OF ANTWERP | Sint-Andriesplein.
- ANTWERP | Part of Scheldepark / Schipperspark / Zuidpark at Gedempte Zuiderdokken now open.
- ANTWERP | Major revamp of the Meirbrug – Suikerrui – Scheldt Quays axis to complete the Via Sinjoor.
- ANTWERP | Looking for Linkeroever Railway Station.
- ANTWERP | Renovation of Scheldt Quays between Sint-Andries and ‘t Zuid.
- ANTWERP | Final design revealed for Scheldt Quays at Nieuw Zuid.
- ANTWERP | 2023-2024 Park Gedempte Zuiderdokken to have grass and water.
- ANTWERP | City forest, orchard and pond for Nieuw Zuid Scheldt Quays by 2024.
- ANTWERP | Groenplaats to become green again.
- A sneak peek into Antwerp’s renovated City Hall.
- Antwerp’s Middelheim Museum rearranges sculpture park by the end of 2023.
- Rainbow zebra crossing in Borgerhout.
- Rainbow zebra crossings of Antwerp.
- Redesigning Antwerp’s central Scheldt Quays between Noorderterras and Zuiderterras.
- Borsbeek to become Antwerp’s 10th district.
- Antwerp’s Droogdokkensite redeveloped into maritime experience area.
- VIDEO | The renovation of Antwerp City Hall.
- Antwerp-Central Railway Station to get new facade lights.
- Antwerp’s renewed Scheldt Quays at Loodswezen to get World War II victims memorial.
- ANTWERP | Bonapartedok to become centre for water sports and recreation.
- PHOTOS | Het Steen, Antwerp’s new Visitor Centre.
- VIDEO | Walking the future Spoorpark between Zurenborg (Antwerp) and Borgerhout.
- 5 spots in Antwerp to soak up the sun for free.
- VIDEO | Sunset over Antwerp’s Scheldt river.
- Antwerp to be car-free by 2024?.
- BOOK | ‘Antwerp. An Archaeological View on the Origin of the City’ by Tim Bellens.
- Antwerp landmark Boerentoren to become Art & Culture Tower by 2027.
- Antwerp to get a pedestrian and cyclist bridge over the Scheldt.
- VIDEO | Bicycle ramp for Parkbrug at Park Spoor Noord / ‘t Eilandje in Antwerp opened.
- VIDEO | Antwerp researching old castle at Noorderterras.
- VIDEO | Pedestrian bridge in Antwerp’s Stadspark restored.
- Antwerp’s Rubens House to have new visitor centre by 2024.
- ANTWERP | Rubens House to close on 9 January 2023 and reopen in 2027.
- Noorderterras to become Kaailine, Antwerp’s New York-inspired High Line.
- Antwerp’s City Theatre Stadsschouwburg to be demolished, new playhouse elsewhere.
- ANTWERP | Wapper near Meir and Rubens House to be renovated into a contemporary and climate-robust city square.
- ANTWERP | Schuttershofstraat to become fully pedestrian shopping street.
- ANTWERP | Zuidpark to be completed by 2024.