The construction works of the second part of the Zuidpark (South Park) in Antwerp on the Gedempte Zuiderdokken are in full swing. The works for the third and final part of the park will also start on 3 October. The entire seven-hectare park, a new green meeting place for the district, will be ready by spring 2024.
The last part of the park to be constructed is located between Scheldestraat and Wapenstraat, above the former Kooldok. This will include playgrounds, a dog walking zone, a play fountain on the Museumplein, and part of the former hangar on the Scheldt Quays as a pergola.
Alderman for Urban Development Annick De Ridder (N-VA): “We are starting the third and final phase of the works on the Zuidpark. This park is a textbook example of the greening that we are aiming for during this legislature. For example, 123 extra trees and 30,000 new plants will be added. Zuidpark also clearly stands for ‘blueing’. With, among other things, a collective rainwater tank of 1.5 million cubic meters, two water basins and infiltration pipes, we ensure smart use of water. The new park is able to respond to both drought and flooding. Now look forward to the completion of the entire South Park, scheduled for the spring of 2024.”
This smart use of water is reflected in the design of the park, and is being realized in collaboration with Water-Link:
- The rainwater from the roofs around the park is led to the gigantic collective rainwater well. It is then used for, among other things, the maintenance of the city’s park, fountains, and sweepers;
- Underneath the double rows of trees are underground collecting tanks, which collect the rainwater from the paths and thus provide the trees with sufficient water;
- The two water basins in the central part collect the rainwater from the Vlaamsekaai and Waalsekaai. On one side they will be bordered by a spacious staircase, and the historic quay wall of the Schippersdok will be restored and renewed. On the other side comes bank planting;
- The infiltration pipes will also be installed in the central part, which in the future will collect the excess rainwater from the streets in the district, thereby helping to limit local flooding.
The works for the construction of the second part of the park, above the former Schippersdok (between Gillisplaats and Museumstraat), are in full swing. In addition to a large grassy meadow in the middle, two water basins and spacious circular benches, there will also be a pedestrian promenade between the double rows of trees, and lots of greenery. The Vlaamse- and Waalsekaai in this section are also undergoing a transformation.
These works will end in the spring of 2023.
From 3 October, the Vlaamsekaai will be accessible again in this zone. The Waalsekaai will be restricted to residents between 3 and 28 October; from 28 October it will be fully accessible again from the Luikstraat, the IJzerenpoortkaai and the Visserskaai.
Impact phase three on the neighbourhood
From 3 October, work will not only start on the last part of the park, but also on the Vlaamse- and Waalsekaai between the Scheldestraat and the Wapenstraat:
- The utility works on the Vlaamsekaai between the Verlatstraat and the Scheldestraat will start on 3 October, parking on the Vlaamsekaai in this zone is no longer possible until the end of the works at the beginning of 2023;
- The intersection with Scheldestraat and Vlaamsekaai will be closed for a number of days;
- The Verlatstraat and the Vorstermanstraat will also be closed for a number of weeks towards the Vlaamsekaai;
- The reconstruction of the Waalsekaai between the Scheldestraat and the Wapenstraat will start from 3 October until the summer of 2023. No motorized traffic is possible;
- All catering terraces between the Scheldestraat and the Wapenstraat on the Vlaamse- and Waalsekaai will be closed from October 3, ’22 until the summer of 2023.
In the summer of 2023, both the Vlaamse- and Waalsekaai will be completely finished. The entire Zuidpark will be ready by the spring of 2024.
Information about accessibility can always be found at www.slimnaarantwerpen.be.
On the look of Antwerp
- AREAS OF ANTWERP | Scheldekaaien or Scheldt Quays.
- AREAS OF ANTWERP | Zurenborg.
- AREAS OF ANTWERP | Cogels-Osylei between Berchem and Antwerp’s Zurenborg neighbourhood.
- AREAS OF ANTWERP | De Gerlachekaai at the Scheldt.
- AREAS OF ANTWERP | Sint-Andriesplein.
- ANTWERP | Part of Scheldepark / Schipperspark / Zuidpark at Gedempte Zuiderdokken now open.
- ANTWERP | Major revamp of the Meirbrug – Suikerrui – Scheldt Quays axis to complete the Via Sinjoor.
- ANTWERP | Looking for Linkeroever Railway Station.
- ANTWERP | Renovation of Scheldt Quays between Sint-Andries and ‘t Zuid.
- ANTWERP | Final design revealed for Scheldt Quays at Nieuw Zuid.
- ANTWERP | 2023-2024 Park Gedempte Zuiderdokken to have grass and water.
- ANTWERP | City forest, orchard and pond for Nieuw Zuid Scheldt Quays by 2024.
- ANTWERP | Groenplaats to become green again.
- A sneak peek into Antwerp’s renovated City Hall.
- Antwerp’s Middelheim Museum rearranges sculpture park by the end of 2023.
- Rainbow zebra crossing in Borgerhout.
- Rainbow zebra crossings of Antwerp.
- Redesigning Antwerp’s central Scheldt Quays between Noorderterras and Zuiderterras.
- Borsbeek to become Antwerp’s 10th district.
- Antwerp’s Droogdokkensite redeveloped into maritime experience area.
- VIDEO | The renovation of Antwerp City Hall.
- Antwerp-Central Railway Station to get new facade lights.
- Antwerp’s renewed Scheldt Quays at Loodswezen to get World War II victims memorial.
- ANTWERP | Bonapartedok to become centre for water sports and recreation.
- PHOTOS | Het Steen, Antwerp’s new Visitor Centre.
- VIDEO | Walking the future Spoorpark between Zurenborg (Antwerp) and Borgerhout.
- 5 spots in Antwerp to soak up the sun for free.
- VIDEO | Sunset over Antwerp’s Scheldt river.
- Antwerp to be car-free by 2024?.
- BOOK | ‘Antwerp. An Archaeological View on the Origin of the City’ by Tim Bellens.
- Antwerp landmark Boerentoren to become Art & Culture Tower by 2027.
- Antwerp to get a pedestrian and cyclist bridge over the Scheldt.
- VIDEO | Bicycle ramp for Parkbrug at Park Spoor Noord / ‘t Eilandje in Antwerp opened.
- VIDEO | Antwerp researching old castle at Noorderterras.
- VIDEO | Pedestrian bridge in Antwerp’s Stadspark restored.
- Antwerp’s Rubens House to have new visitor centre by 2024.
- ANTWERP | Rubens House to close on 9 January 2023 and reopen in 2027.
- Noorderterras to become Kaailine, Antwerp’s New York-inspired High Line.
- Antwerp’s City Theatre Stadsschouwburg to be demolished, new playhouse elsewhere.
- ANTWERP | Wapper near Meir and Rubens House to be renovated into a contemporary and climate-robust city square.
- ANTWERP | Schuttershofstraat to become fully pedestrian shopping street.