From December 2023, the Nightjet service which links Vienna in Austria to Brussels in Belgium will run daily. Half December is the when train schedules change in Europe. Nightjet is the night train brand of the Austrian Federal Railways ÖBB. Back on Tack Belgium revealed the news on Thursday.
The connection to Italy frees up the – unfortunately older – carriages for the connection to and from Brussels and Vienna.
“The second connection between Paris and Berlin will rather run south of Luxembourg via Strasbourg in France, but we will also be able to enjoy it in Brussels. In Mannheim, just below Frankfurt am Main in Germany, the wagons from Brussels and Paris will be exchanged late in the evening, and from Vienna and Berlin early in the morning, which means that many more diverse connections can be offered to and from Brussels without transfer . While asleep, everyone will move in the right direction.”
So yes, there will be a second Brussels – Berlin option, next to the European Sleeper. The Dutch-Belgian company will face stiff competition.
Night train finally a fully-fledged public transport option
“Back on Track Belgium is pleased that we have the prospect of a daily night train connection for the first time”, says a delighted spokesman Alexander Gomme.
“Now (affordable) tickets are quickly sold out. In the high season, many interested people can no longer find a ticket. That discourages and makes the aircraft (more) attractive. Due to a more regular offer, the night train is a fully-fledged public transport option: regular timetable at acceptable prices and no sardine cans on the move.”
“We therefore hope that the German Deutsche Bahn (DB), French SNCF and Belgian NMBS / SNCB will now fully support the night train. But the political decision-makers certainly also have more to do. Once they will see that these extra night trains are also used a lot, they can adjust their policy (more) accordingly. This is essential for current and new players who are still developing their offer.”
“It is not yet a Paris – Brussels – Berlin connection as we were striving for in 2014, but it shows that Brussels is an important destination. It therefore fits perfectly within our #Hub4Brussels project in which we see Brussels as a European night train hub.”
More on night trains and transcontinental train travel
- EUROPEAN SLEEPER | ‘The Good Night Train’ Brussels – Amsterdam – Berlin starts on 25 May 2023.
- Back On Track Belgium reiterates necessity for new night train rolling stock.
- REVIEW | ÖBB Nightjet Amsterdam – Zurich night train.
- 33 European railway companies call for massive investment in rail travel.
- Trans Europ Express 2.0 advocates a renewed extensive European train network.
- International Railway Union working on facilitating night trains, but very aware of the many challenges.
- Brussels – Amsterdam – Berlin – Prague RegioJet / European Sleeper night train service delayed.
- EUROPEAN UNION | The Trans-European Transport Network (TEN-T) and the European Transport Corridors.
- European Commission wants booking train tickets to be as easy as booking flights.
- Orient Express La Dolce Vita: luxury train travel in Italy from 2023.
- Future Benelux ICNG trains complete test rides for Belgium.
- Trenitalia aspires to run trains from Milan to Brussels and Amsterdam.
- Green light for ‘Green Speed’ Eurostar and Thalys merger.
- ‘Green Speed’: Train operators Thalys and Eurostar to become one.
- GREEN SPEED | 2024 Eurostar – Thalys merger marks the end of Thalys brand.
- Eurostar ex-Thalys trains will keep ‘ruby’ red livery after 2024 merger.
- SJ EuroNight announces 2022 night train service from Stockholm to Hamburg, no Malmö – Brussels for now.
- NIGHT TRAINS TO BERLIN | Stronger European Sleeper effectively takes over Moonlight Express.
- Malmö – Brussels night train to become Malmö – Brussels – Paris?.
- Ostende-Vienne Orient Experience plans tourist season night trains from Brussels and Antwerp to Salzburg, Innsbruck and Milan.
- GreenCityTrip: chartered night trains from Breda in the Netherlands to Venice, Prague, Milan, Vienna, Prague, Verona and Innsbruck.
- GreenCityTrip launches new destinations for its chartered night trains: Copenhagen, Gothenburg, Malmö, Bologna, Firenze, Bolzano, Como, Salzburg, Linz.
- Moonlight Express to offer night train services between Brussels, Liège and Berlin from April 2022.
- The couchette and sleeping cars for the Ostend – Brussels – Amsterdam – Berlin – Prague European Sleeper by RegioJet.
- ‘Hotel on rails’ Midnight Trains to link Paris to Edinburgh, Brussels, Hamburg, Copenhagen, Berlin, Milan, Venice, Florence, Rome, Barcelona, Madrid and Porto.
- The couchette and sleeping cars for the Brussels – Liège – Berlin Moonlight Express.
- Moonlight Express to include bar / restaurant coaches and sustainable quality food on Brussels – Liège – Berlin night train.
- 2021, European Year of Rail.
- Nightjet Vienna/Innsbruck to Brussels, or how we got thrown off the train in Aachen.
- NIGHTJET | Austrian Federal Railways ÖBB and Swiss Federal Railways SBB-CFF-FFS present 2024 Austro-Swiss night train plans for Europe.
- Why the expensive ÖBB Nightjet is really not that expensive.
- Reliving the era of the great railway journeys, travelling overnight on Nightjet.
- How we plan a big rail trip.
- Ticket Distribution: the failure of railways to sell themselves.
- Malmö – Cologne – Brussels Night train.
- BOOK REVIEW | ‘Night Trains, The Rise and Fall of the Sleeper’ by Andrew Martin.
- To use night trains in Portugal and Spain or not?.
- Night trains in Europe.
- Low-cost, long-haul trains to conquer Europe?.
- Fly now before it’s taxed and consider using the train instead.
- Belgium to pay railway infrastructure fee and traction energy costs to lure night trains to Brussels.