“We did it! We are launching our own sleeper service Brussels – Amsterdam – Berlin“, European Sleeper (ES) announced. The first journey will take ‘The Good Night Train‘ from Berlin to Brussels on Thursday 26 May 2023. The first return trip is on Friday 27 May. The service is due to run three times per week. Ticket prices start at 49 euros. Ticket sales open on 20 February 2023.
The Dutch-Belgian company has been able to find enough rolling stock, initiator Chris Engelsman tells Dutch website Treinreiziger.nl. The train will consist of one sleeper car, eight couchette cars and one sitting car.
Where ES has found its rolling stock, is yet unclear.
The return trip is 10.56 PM in Berlin to arrive at 9.27 AM. On Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday.
A seat starts from 49 euros. A couchette from 79 euros and a bed from 109 euros.
ES wants to integrate Interrail and Eurail, but that has to be arranged yet. Tickets will be sold via the European Sleeper website and via national railway companies.
European Sleeper wanted to run night train services to Prague in Czechia, with RegioJet. But due to engineering works in Germany, that won’t be possible before 2024. So the cooperation with RegioJet is on hold.
“As a brand new, community-based railway company, we are introducing a special east-west connection between three European capitals. Comfortable couchettes, good beds and seats. Breakfast in compartment included; more catering options available. Bikes can be transported, pets in private compartments. We will start three times a week, daily if possible from 2024. Tickets from €49 for a seat and from €79 for a bed. From December 2023, the intention is to extend the rail service according to the original plan to Dresden and Prague”, European Sleeper says on its website.
ES also wants to run night trains to Barcelona.
We had lost our faith in European Sleeper to succeed, honestly, after many announcements but nothing firm. This is firm. But let’s see on Thursday 25 May.
More on trains
- REVIEW | ÖBB Nightjet Amsterdam – Zurich night train.
- RegioJet from Prague to Bratislava.
- ZSSK Fast Train Tatran from Bratislava to Strba.
- The Tatra rack and electric Railway from Strba via Strbske Pleso to Poprad tatry.
- Poprad – Bratislava – Vienna with ZSSK’s intercity train.
- AUSTRIA | ÖBB RailJet from Linz to Salzburg.
- SWITZERLAND | The Glacier Express from Sankt Moritz to Brig (and to Zermatt).
- SWITZERLAND 2022 | Voralpen-Express: Sankt Gallen – Rapperswil – Lucerne.
- SWITZERLAND 2022 | Thurbo Seelinie, discovering Switzerland’s northern lake route.
- MONT-BLANC EXPRESS | Linking Martigny, Chamonix and Saint-Gervais-les-Bains in the Alps.
- Thalys Brussels – Paris – Brussels – Antwerp in 2022.
- Eight train connections between the Netherlands and Belgium by 2030?.
- The return of a Brussels – Luxembourg – Strasbourg – Basel train?.
- 33 European railway companies call for massive investment in rail travel.
- Trans Europ Express 2.0 advocates a renewed extensive European train network.
- SWITZERLAND | GoldenPass Montreux – Gstaad – Interlaken without changing at Zweisimmen thanks to dual-gauge trains.
- International Railway Union working on facilitating night trains, but very aware of the many challenges.
- RIDE & DINE | Orient Dining Express by Stoomtrein Maldegem-Eeklo.
- Brussels – Amsterdam – Berlin – Prague RegioJet / European Sleeper night train service delayed.
- EUROPEAN UNION | The Trans-European Transport Network (TEN-T) and the European Transport Corridors.
- European Commission wants booking train tickets to be as easy as booking flights.
- Trenitalia Frecciarossa high speed train between Florence and Venice in Business Executive class.
- Orient Express La Dolce Vita: luxury train travel in Italy from 2023.
- ITALY | Turin hosts 2022 Eurovision Song Contest.
- By Red Arrow to Milan.
- Future Benelux ICNG trains complete test rides for Belgium.
- PKP Intercity Gdansk to Wroclaw via Warsaw.
- Trenitalia aspires to run trains from Milan to Brussels and Amsterdam.
- Green light for ‘Green Speed’ Eurostar and Thalys merger.
- ‘Green Speed’: Train operators Thalys and Eurostar to become one.
- GREEN SPEED | 2024 Eurostar – Thalys merger marks the end of Thalys brand.
- ‘Disney Express’ by Thalys to Disneyland Paris / Marne-la-Vallée – Chessy.
- REVIEW | Thalys Lounge at Brussels South/Midi station.
- Antwerp – Brussels – Paris in Thalys Comfort 1.
- Travelling in Thalys Premium.
- TGV Inoui Brussels to Lyon in Corona times.
- SNCF inOui (ex-TGV) Marseille to Lille.
- Eurostar ex-Thalys trains will keep ‘ruby’ red livery after 2024 merger.
- On board a TGV Atlantique from Marne-la-Vallée – Chessy to Bordeaux-Saint-Jean.
- Travelling on TGV to Avignon.
- Paris – Geneva – Lausanne with TGV Lyria first class on an Alstom TGV Duplex.
- Eurostar post-Brexit.
- London – Lille – Brussels in Eurostar’s refurbished e300 / Class 373 / TMST.
- EUROCITY EC-8 | Zürich to Cologne in SBB’s Panoramic Car.
- Brussels – London with Eurostar in Standard Premier.
- SJ EuroNight announces 2022 night train service from Stockholm to Hamburg, no Malmö – Brussels for now.
- NIGHT TRAINS TO BERLIN | Stronger European Sleeper effectively takes over Moonlight Express.
- Malmö – Brussels night train to become Malmö – Brussels – Paris?.
- Ostende-Vienne Orient Experience plans tourist season night trains from Brussels and Antwerp to Salzburg, Innsbruck and Milan.
- GreenCityTrip: chartered night trains from Breda in the Netherlands to Venice, Prague, Milan, Vienna, Prague, Verona and Innsbruck.
- GreenCityTrip launches new destinations for its chartered night trains: Copenhagen, Gothenburg, Malmö, Bologna, Firenze, Bolzano, Como, Salzburg, Linz.
- Moonlight Express to offer night train services between Brussels, Liège and Berlin from April 2022.
- The couchette and sleeping cars for the Ostend – Brussels – Amsterdam – Berlin – Prague European Sleeper by RegioJet.
- ‘Hotel on rails’ Midnight Trains to link Paris to Edinburgh, Brussels, Hamburg, Copenhagen, Berlin, Milan, Venice, Florence, Rome, Barcelona, Madrid and Porto.
- The couchette and sleeping cars for the Brussels – Liège – Berlin Moonlight Express.
- Moonlight Express to include bar / restaurant coaches and sustainable quality food on Brussels – Liège – Berlin night train.
- 2021, European Year of Rail.
- Nightjet Vienna/Innsbruck to Brussels, or how we got thrown off the train in Aachen.
- NIGHTJET | Austrian Federal Railways ÖBB and Swiss Federal Railways SBB-CFF-FFS present 2024 Austro-Swiss night train plans for Europe.
- Why the expensive ÖBB Nightjet is really not that expensive.
- Reliving the era of the great railway journeys, travelling overnight on Nightjet.
- How we plan a big rail trip.
- Ticket Distribution: the failure of railways to sell themselves.
- Malmö – Cologne – Brussels Night train.
- BOOK REVIEW | ‘Night Trains, The Rise and Fall of the Sleeper’ by Andrew Martin.
- To use night trains in Portugal and Spain or not?.
- Night trains in Europe.
- Low-cost, long-haul trains to conquer Europe?.
- Fly now before it’s taxed and consider using the train instead.
- Belgium to pay railway infrastructure fee and traction energy costs to lure night trains to Brussels.
- 2013 Scotland Rail Trip.
- 2016 America Rail Adventure.
- 2017 Eastern Europe, Balkan and Greece Rail Trip.
- 2018 Poland Trip.
- 2018 Rail Tour of France, Italy and Switzerland.
- 2020 Saxony, Bavaria and Tyrol Getaway.