Construction phase 2 – Schippersdok
The construction of the second part of Zuidpark, between Gillisplaats and Museumstraat, is in full swing. In the meantime, the Vlaamsekaai and the Waalsekaai are accessible again in this zone. An underground buffer for rainwater was constructed under the large grass meadow.
As a result, in the event of heavy rain in the future, the water will be collected to prevent flooding in the district. The construction of the park on top of the buffer has now started in full swing. Two large water basins will also be excavated to collect the water from the Vlaamsekaai and Waalsekaai. There will be large seating steps on one side, and bank planting on the other. The park in this zone will be ready by spring 2023.
Construction phase 3 – Kooldok
Since 3 October, work has also started on the construction of the third and last part of Zuidpark, between Scheldestraat and Wapenstraat. This will include playgrounds, a dog walking zone, a play fountain and a pergola.
Reconstruction of the Vlaamsekaai
The utility works are in full swing and will be completed in the coming weeks.
From 9 January to the summer of 2023, the Vlaamsekaai will be reconstructed between Scheldestraat and Museumstraat. No motorized traffic is possible.
All catering terraces on the Vlaamse- and Waalsekaai between Scheldestraat and Museumstraat will close until the summer of 2023.
Since October 3, the reconstruction of the Waalsekaai has started, between the Scheldestraat and the Wapenstraat. These works will continue until the summer of 2023. No motorized traffic is possible. The Flemish and Waalsekaai will be completed in the summer of 2023. Delivery of the finished Zuidpark is scheduled for the spring of 2024.
On the look of Antwerp
- AREAS OF ANTWERP | Scheldekaaien or Scheldt Quays.
- AREAS OF ANTWERP | Zurenborg.
- AREAS OF ANTWERP | Cogels-Osylei between Berchem and Antwerp’s Zurenborg neighbourhood.
- AREAS OF ANTWERP | De Gerlachekaai at the Scheldt.
- AREAS OF ANTWERP | Sint-Andriesplein.
- ANTWERP | Instant divide over Daniel Libeskind’s transformation design for Boerentoren.
- Rainbow zebra crossing in Borgerhout.
- Rainbow zebra crossings of Antwerp.
- Rainbow zebra crossing in Berchem.
- ANTWERP | City approves preliminary design for revamped Scheldt Quays’ section from Steenplein to Noorderterras.
- ANTWERP | Part of Scheldepark / Schipperspark / Zuidpark at Gedempte Zuiderdokken now open.
- ANTWERP | Major revamp of the Meirbrug – Suikerrui – Scheldt Quays axis to complete the Via Sinjoor.
- ANTWERP | Looking for Linkeroever Railway Station.
- ANTWERP | Renovation of Scheldt Quays between Sint-Andries and ‘t Zuid.
- ANTWERP | Final design revealed for Scheldt Quays at Nieuw Zuid.
- ANTWERP | 2023-2024 Park Gedempte Zuiderdokken to have grass and water.
- ANTWERP | City forest, orchard and pond for Nieuw Zuid Scheldt Quays by 2024.
- ANTWERP | Groenplaats to become green again.
- A sneak peek into Antwerp’s renovated City Hall.
- Antwerp’s Middelheim Museum rearranges sculpture park by the end of 2023.
- Redesigning Antwerp’s central Scheldt Quays between Noorderterras and Zuiderterras.
- Borsbeek to become Antwerp’s 10th district.
- Antwerp’s Droogdokkensite redeveloped into maritime experience area.
- VIDEO | The renovation of Antwerp City Hall.
- Antwerp-Central Railway Station to get new facade lights.
- Antwerp’s renewed Scheldt Quays at Loodswezen to get World War II victims memorial.
- ANTWERP | Bonapartedok to become centre for water sports and recreation.
- PHOTOS | Het Steen, Antwerp’s new Visitor Centre.
- VIDEO | Walking the future Spoorpark between Zurenborg (Antwerp) and Borgerhout.
- 5 spots in Antwerp to soak up the sun for free.
- VIDEO | Sunset over Antwerp’s Scheldt river.
- Antwerp to be car-free by 2024?.
- BOOK | ‘Antwerp. An Archaeological View on the Origin of the City’ by Tim Bellens.
- Antwerp landmark Boerentoren to become Art & Culture Tower by 2027.
- Antwerp to get a pedestrian and cyclist bridge over the Scheldt.
- VIDEO | Bicycle ramp for Parkbrug at Park Spoor Noord / ‘t Eilandje in Antwerp opened.
- VIDEO | Antwerp researching old castle at Noorderterras.
- VIDEO | Pedestrian bridge in Antwerp’s Stadspark restored.
- Antwerp’s Rubens House to have new visitor centre by 2024.
- ANTWERP | Rubens House to close on 9 January 2023 and reopen in 2027.
- Noorderterras to become Kaailine, Antwerp’s New York-inspired High Line.
- Antwerp’s City Theatre Stadsschouwburg to be demolished, new playhouse elsewhere.
- ANTWERP | Wapper near Meir and Rubens House to be renovated into a contemporary and climate-robust city square.
- ANTWERP | Schuttershofstraat to become fully pedestrian shopping street.
- ANTWERP | Zuidpark to be completed by 2024.
- ANTWERP | Construction of Park Groot Schijn enters final phase.
- Antwerp lists Wolvenberg-Brilschans in Berchem now as nature reserve.
- ANTWERP | Preliminary design for revamped Stadspark approved.
- ANTWERP | Preliminary design for Masterplan Scheldt’s Linkeroever.
- ANTWERP | Loodswezensite gets temporary green area.
- Antwerp Cathedral Tower freed of scaffolding.